Yellowstone Winter 2020 Wolves

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

fiznatty

I had four "good" wolf encounters in Yellowstone during my two week visit in January. Good being a baseline term... something I'd use if a wolf is anywhere within 200 yards or so. Three of the encounters, featuring the Wapiti Lake Pack, were actually pretty incredible. It was my best wolf trip to date, and lots of photos made it onto my website.

View the full gallery of new wolf photos here. A short preview is below.

wolfgray0120ys139.jpg

wolfgray0120ys36.jpg

One of two times I counted sixteen wolves together (tying my personal best):
wolfgray0120ys423.jpg

wolfgray0120ys405.jpg

wolfgray0120ys617.jpg

wolfgray0120ys630.jpg

wolfgray0120ys693.jpg

wolfgray0120ys721.jpg

See the full Yellowstone Winter 2020 Wolves gallery here.

Max

Great photos. The wolves appear to be relatively habituated to people if they are passing as close as 200 yards from you.

Great photos. The wolves appear to be relatively habituated to people if they are passing as close as 200 yards from you.

This pack has a tendency to use the roads more than other packs (they have one of the larger ranges and will sometimes travel over 30 miles in a couple days in winter), so they're more used to people. The alpha female is descended from another wolf (which I wrote about a few years back) that also worked the roads a fair amount, so I think that knowledge has been passed down.

Max

I have watched TV shows on the wolves of Yellowstone, including one about a famous black male who lived far longer than the average wolf. I find wolves and their pack behavior very fascinating. You are fortunate to have opportunities to photograph them.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back