Search results

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. Mike-PDX

If a Tree Falls......

That reminds me of this: "If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?" PS, I know full well you were being serious - I just couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:
  2. Mike-PDX

Eagle Nest Using Extreme Telephoto

I thought all you wildlife shooters would be interested in this article from the latest issue of Outdoor Photographer. It looks like the author shot these near Smith Rock in Oregon. In one case he used teleconverters to achieve an equivalent focal length of 14,000+ mm! Pretty extreme if you...
  3. Mike-PDX

Hummingbirds, anyone?

And some more! And here are a few more from Costa Rica: Savegre-15 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Savegre-25 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Hummers are very territorial by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Savegre-31 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr And finally one last one - newborn Hummers in the nest, which was about the...
  4. Mike-PDX

Hummingbirds, anyone?

I can add some Hummers! We all have seen Anna's or Rufus Hummers around the Pacific Northwest. So I'll throw in some from Costa Rica - all taken last February near the lodges we were staying at. I can't ID them all, but many were Green-crowned Briliant Hummingbirds. Hummingbird-3 by...
  5. Mike-PDX

25 Amazing Photos of Bicycles

That would be a very interesting exercise. To gather that many "amazing" photos of one subject, I imagine I'd have to take literally hundreds of shots - maybe thousands! I have thousands of photos of trains in my collection, but my top 25 aren't any where near that good.
  6. Mike-PDX

You provide the caption

Don't look at me! You're the one who started talking politics!
  7. Mike-PDX

What a difference a few feet make.

Bob, I completely agree about using a tripod to force you to slow down. I find that very enjoyable. In this case, of course, the tripod was an absolute necessity for the long (30 sec) exposure. Here's an update to the B&W conversion darkened a bit. I think I like this best after seeing...
  8. Mike-PDX

Absolutely! Go for it.
  9. Mike-PDX

Thanks! You all seem to agree that the second shot is best. So I tried a "film noir" black & white version to overcome the color cast of the strange orange lights. What do you think of this?
  10. Mike-PDX

Thanks, yes it was foggy. And I was stopped down to f/22 to try to get some starbursts, so I think that's what you are seeing. Or, because of the fog, I may have had condensation on the lens. I played around with the white balance, and didn't find anything I preferred over these. I think the...
  11. Mike-PDX

I was out a few weeks back doing some night shooting along the Portland waterfront. I took this shot literally under the freeway. After reviewing the first shot in-camera, I decided that I wasn't sure I liked the two lights in the upper left. So I moved a few feet to my left to frame them out...
  12. Mike-PDX

Portland at Night

Jan, thanks for the feedback. I modified the first one slightly to lighten up the foreground, bringing out more detail in the boats. I'm not so happy with the light painting shots I tried. It will take a lot more practice, I think. Plus here are a couple of additional shots from that shoot.
  13. Mike-PDX

Portland at Night

I had an opportunity to do some night shooting on the Portland waterfront Friday night. It was a chance to practice/improve my long exposure technique and try my hand at light painting. Here are some of the results. C&C encouraged! 'Tis the season to be Marri---ott
  14. Mike-PDX

Share photos of your guest to your bird feeders here :)

Sharp Shinned Surprise Well, I think I posted this one here some time back. It's from a couple of years ago. But here goes anyway. Sharp Shinned Surprise!
  15. Mike-PDX

Sunsets of Edmonds, WA.

If only there was a good quality power line filter available... Would be extremely useful in train photography, too. :rolleyes:
  16. Mike-PDX

Ladder Creek Falls

These are both excellent, Rocky. I particularly like the rendering of the water. I wonder if you considered shooting a series to be stitched into a vertical pano. Would that have worked here to get the entire falls into one photo? -Mike
  17. The view from Larch Mountain

The view from Larch Mountain

18. Moonrise over Mt Hood

Moonrise over Mt Hood

From Larch Mountain Viewpoint
  19. Mike-PDX

Views of the Palouse

Excellent! Fine shots. I was over there a couple of weeks ago and mostly got rained out. The final straw was the snow flurries mixed with the rain. I did get one sunset on Steptoe Butte, and that was great. Posted some shots in the gallery. I need to find time go back. -Mike
  20. Mike-PDX

Lazy Bear Falls

Rocky, I'd say it was pretty enough! Worth the bushwacking - especially when you were doing it and not me.:cool: Thanks for posting it.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back