A misty day at the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Driving home from an appointment I decided to drop into the refuge today.

The colors were muted in the misty air.
fall colors at the refuge..jpg

cottonwoods.jpg

I saw that the Bald Eagles are laying claim to their nest.
Eagles nest.jpg

And at times the sound of geese was almost deafening.
Geese 2.jpg

Geese.jpg

I love fall and winter at the refuges.

Thanks for the report!

Yup, the bald eagle is sitting in the same place it was a couple weeks ago. Also, look closely at the bands on the trunk of the tree in the center of the third picture down. In Mid-September workers went in to save the old dying oak nesting tree. Here's an article on it http://www.kptv.com/story/23773785/bald-eagle-nest-saved-at-tualatin-national-wildlife-refuge

You got some classic heart of fall pictures on this outing for sure!

Chad

Last edited:
Thanks for the report!

Yup, the bald eagle is sitting in the same place it was a couple weeks ago. Also, look closely at the bands on the trunk of the tree in the center of the third picture down. in the middle of September workers went in to save the old dying oak nesting tree. Here's an article on it http://www.kptv.com/story/23773785/bald-eagle-nest-saved-at-tualatin-national-wildlife-refuge

You got some classic heart of fall pictures on this outing for sure!

Chad

I noticed that before the shutdown. I can imagine that nest is extremely heavy and would not hold up to a strong winter wind or snowstorm. I'm happy to be in the refuge again.

What happens to your coyote buddies after the fields are flooded?

They have plenty of places to go. Besides, their menu choices expand this time of the year. I have to admit though, my coyote buddies are shy here. I have only heard them and seen their droppings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I did not make it down over Christmas, but I hope to get there this spring. One of my brother's daughters (i.e. my niece) expressed an interest in photography to me at our family's Christmas gathering, so I would like to drag her along. She also likes foreign languages, so she may be my last hope in passing along my interests in speaking Mandarin and photographing birds to the next generation of our family. :)

Last edited:
I did not make it down over Christmas, but I hope to get there this spring. One of my brother's daughters (i.e. my niece) expressed an interest in photography to me at our family's Christmas gathering, so I would like to drag her along. She also likes foreign languages, so she may be my last hope in passing along my interests in speaking Mandarin and photographing birds to the next generation of our family. :)

That would be a great family bonding experience.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back