Does anyone meet up and take photos?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

jelinek415

Happy Holidays to all! =) Hope that everyone is staying warm in this very chilling weather this week. Any who.....was just wondering if anyone met up and took photos of the area where they lived at?

We've done a couple of meetups and I'd definitely like to do more. I've been waiting for the forum to get larger, so we have more folks who are likely to show up.

Here's the problem:

If you do the meetup in the summer, schedule conflicts are common. So, you say "Let's do a meetup at the bird sanctuary!". Maybe 50 people live within a reasonable distance. 40 of them say "I'm not fond of bird photos" or "I don't have the right lens" etc. So you've got 10 people who are interested. Then after the schedule conflicts work out, you're down to 3 or 4 people, which really isn't much of a meetup. Then if it rains, half of them stay home and suddenly you're at a "non-event". :)

If you do them during winter, there's less schedule conflicts since less people are out shooting this time of year. Of course the reason there's less people out shooting is that the weather is often lousy and people don't like to shoot this time of year. (Catch 22!)

Or you do like Bob and I did and just show up at a good photo op site and ask the other photographer who they are. We had been typing at each other for over a year and then met while shooting the moon.

I'd love to meet up somewhere and probably could with enough notice. I live near Salem, OR so I'd definitely need plenty of notice as it's a 3-1/2 hour drive to Seattle. I'd also only be able to do it on a weekend.

I think it would be great to put faces and voices to the words on this site. If something like this should happen, I'd be in if I had enough notice. Even my wife would probably be willing to come as she likes to shoot as well.

i'm cool with birding, or landscapes, or whatever (not likely to have a meetup at a wedding, now are we? :D ). i'd prefer to do it between the months of May and October - winter weather anywhere west of the Cascades sucks for outdoor photos, and the days are too short - but i'd be down with a shoot out on the coast, or up at Mt Rainier, or one of the bird hangouts, wherever, as long as i had enough notice to put it on my calendar...

Im up for a meetup in the PDX area. I dont have a lot of time but if someone throws out a time/place I'll do what I can...

I am generally out somewhere at least one day on the weekend. Spots may vary, but as I noted in another post, generally Stanwood and points North this time of year.

I rarely mind folks joining me, and I am happy to share most of the places I shoot ;), the only caveat being that I am pretty consistent on the need for respecting the things and places we shoot.

As to not shooting this time of year, c'mon, this is a GREAT time of year! Heck, I grew up in SoCal, so if I can "layer up" and stand out in the middle of field for hours on end, so can you!

Anyone who wants to meet up, just drop me a note, and I'll let you know where and when I'll be out. Some of the places I shoot don't easily accomodate large numbers, but a few years ago we put together about 20-30 people to photograph Eagles and Hawks up in the Skagit and Samish Flats. The area is very large, so we met at one spot, then scattered in multiple cars with meet-ups and food breaks throughout the day. That was fun.

Im up for a meetup in the PDX area. I dont have a lot of time but if someone throws out a time/place I'll do what I can...

I'm up for this as well, anywhere in the central/north Willamette Valley or even the Columbia River Gorge or the Oregon Coast.

As to not shooting this time of year, c'mon, this is a GREAT time of year! Heck, I grew up in SoCal, so if I can "layer up" and stand out in the middle of field for hours on end, so can you!

it's not the cold, Bill, it's the rain and the lousy light... but if the weather's half decent, i don't mind at all!

Just about ever meet up I've been to, if there are more than 2 or 3 photographers that know each other (even through a forum like this, it's more of a social gathering than a photo event. Sure people bring cameras and pictures get taken, but for the most part it's a lot of enjoyable conversations that go on.

There use to be a lot of get togethers in both the Portland and Seattle areas years ago, but for various reasons, most of them quit happening. I went to a number of them when I was part of the NW Nature forum (I think that was the name) back when it was a good forum to be part of. But then they became to restrictive with too many rules and it lost a lot of it's focus (no pun intended) and local members.

The hardest part of having a good turn out, is finding a place that is central to a lot of people and can be held at a time when the majority are able to come... and someone that can put it together and stay with it until it happens.

Mike

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back