Jaguar...not the XK...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
the jaguar at Woodland Park actually offered a photo op yesterday... shot through glass, so not the clearest image i've ever taken, but it came out okay considering the reflections and the finger- and noseprints all over the glass! :p 40D, 100-400 @ 180mm, 1/250 @ f/8...

IMG_2356sm.jpg

Very nice shot, hard to tell it's in a Zoo. I got a shot of her on Friday, and it's pretty cool except for an overhanging log that is in the frame. Need to figure out what to do with that...

Beautiful capture. She looks quite natural (and healthy). Not looking like a zoo shot at all.

Beautiful capture. She looks quite natural (and healthy). Not looking like a zoo shot at all.

thanks, Bob and Leia... that was my goal, to get a shot that looked as much as possible like it was taken in the wild... ;)

Very nice, especially for a zoo capture. I can only see glass glare over the shoulder, but that could be fixed.

I've always loved jags. Too bad they come with that safety glass.

Great shot.

Not sure what the Jaguar is thinking...

Maybe she's saying "Hey, what kind of lens is that?"

Or, maybe she's saying "Want to join me for lunch?"

View attachment 2613

Come to think of it, there are some advantages to that glass...

Rascal,

Woodland Park has done a really nice job of creating natural looking habitats. It's still a bit of a challenge to get shots that aren't obviously in a zoo, but as Rocky and Deb's shots show, with shallow depth of field and careful choice of location, you can do it. That's true of many of the animals, but not all, for example I've yet to find the elephants in a location that doesn't have a lousy background.

The twisty, windy and sometimes confusing network of paths can be annoying, but on the whole it's a great zoo.

A suggestion for local photographers... If you enjoy shooting at the zoo, buy a season pass. That way you can do what Deb and I did, and visit the zoo for a couple of hours without spending $25 or so to do it. On the other hand, even if you don't have a pass, it's not much more expensive than going to a movie, and well worth it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back