Tetons... May or September?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
after a long spell without any real road trips (forced upon me by the economics of 16 months of unemployment), i'm finally thinking about a trip to the Tetons/Yellowstone this year, either in May/June or September. Any opinions on which time of year would be better? I'm thinking September would get me some early fall color, but May might be better for critters?

I think Sept. in general. Fall colors and better light and should still have plenty of critters around.

There might still be a lot of snow in May/June. Depending on what you're looking for, that could be either good or bad.

I'd go in Sept. Better chance of no snow, good chance of fall colors, and most of the critters will still be out.

OK, let me preface this with the fact that I'm not familiar with the Tetons, so they could be totally different.

However... On Rainier, September is my favorite month. The snow is gone (but coming back soon by then...) , the crowds are gone, the air is cool enough to be crisp and clear. You get some fall colors, and wildlife is still around.

I suspect things may be somewhat the same there too.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back