A Church - HDR

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Digital Latte

Rob and Tracy
Looked like an interesting subject to practice some more HDR

99685a37.jpg

Fantastic shot, and the HDR is very well done, at least in my opinion, since it doesn't look like HDR at all, just a well exposed image!

What program did you use, and how many exposures/stops? The subtle effect you have here is really nice. It has a soft of "luminous" look, but very low key.

Fantastic shot, and the HDR is very well done, at least in my opinion, since it doesn't look like HDR at all, just a well exposed image!

What program did you use, and how many exposures/stops? The subtle effect you have here is really nice. It has a soft of "luminous" look, but very low key.

I took 5, but I tossed one because of a white streak caused by a van that passed, so really four -2, -1, 0, +2

These were adjusted in ACR, then merged in photomatix and adjusted, then saved as a .tiff file and opened in ACR again for more adjustments before moving on to photoshop for all the little tweaks :eek:

Wow! I wouldn't have known that was a church, it looks more like a courthouse. the only thing that gives it away is the Crosses on the roof.

Fantastic Shot!

Really nice shot! I love how the walls of the church look - brighter than I'd expect in the evening, but not surreal.

Wow! I wouldn't have known that was a church, it looks more like a courthouse. the only thing that gives it away is the Crosses on the roof.

Exept maybe for the large sign in the foreground that says "First Christian Church." :D

Great image DL, per norm.

Wow! Nice. I've just been reading about HDR. Amazing how layering can bring out such luminocity. I'm curious if this is what you pictured when setting up the shot(s)? Such impressive artistry.

I'll try: When you first looked at the church, and decided to photograph it, did you picture something "more" than what presented itself to you at the time? Did you have a sense that HDR would illuminate that "more" in just the right way? Or maybe you were just experimenting, and I'm looking for something that may not be there?
I'm just getting back into photography after a 25+ year hiatus, and I'm stunned at how digital technology has put so much control, and artistry in the photographer's hands. Your images seem to really take advantage of technology, and you have a wonderful way of capturing the everyday, putting technology and artistry together to create truly beautiful images.

I'll try: When you first looked at the church, and decided to photograph it, did you picture something "more" than what presented itself to you at the time? Did you have a sense that HDR would illuminate that "more" in just the right way? Or maybe you were just experimenting, and I'm looking for something that may not be there?
I'm just getting back into photography after a 25+ year hiatus, and I'm stunned at how digital technology has put so much control, and artistry in the photographer's hands. Your images seem to really take advantage of technology, and you have a wonderful way of capturing the everyday, putting technology and artistry together to create truly beautiful images.

okay, I think I know what your asking..... I left the house with the intent of taking a HDR image. I had no idea I would be shooting that church. It was twilight out and we drove around looking for interesting subjects. The way the church was lit caught our attention, so we pulled over and tried it. at first I was trying to shoot it with no car streaks, but I was losing that battle with long shutter speeds and a busy road. So I decided to just roll with it. The first image was pretty cool, but a kid on a skateboard decided to ride in front of my camera instead of behind it on the 6th exposure!!....

I shot the church from 3 angles, this shot was the 2nd angle. I am still working on the other shot, it might not make it past my inspection :)

With tongue firmly planted in cheek ;)

Nice job on the HDR, but I have to say I was a bit surprised to see a church with parking meters out front. Is that a subtle way of telling the pastor to keep the sermons short? ;)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back