Anna's Hummingbird nest

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Joemeche

I led a field trip on Sunday for North Cascades Audubon and a highlight was locating this nesting female ANHU with two very new hatchlings. I've found a good vantage point and will monitor the progress of the two youngsters.

ANHU0415.jpg
They're really good at taking turns.

ANHU0415Two.jpg
She feeds 'em and then she sits on 'em!

Great shots, Joe! I always worry about being that close, for fear of crows and the like zeroing in on the nest.

Great shots, Joe! I always worry about being that close, for fear of crows and the like zeroing in on the nest.

Thanks, Terry.
I always consider that and believe me, this is one well-hidden nest. It's also in a pretty thick tangle of greenery.
I know a local photographer who takes pruning shears with him to clip branches that might be "in his way" and the rest of us are always on his case about it. I think he leaves the shears at home these days, for fear of running into one of us. :)

Thanks, Joe. I knew you would be careful - Last year we lost a nest, we think, because crows or jays discovered it, perhaps because of our looking at it, even though a fair distance away (like 20 feet), but
in this instance the nest was quite visible.

they are my favorate bird! i have a web site i look at.. from the time the mama lays the eggs till the little ones fledge.. it located down at San Diago area.... !!!

Stopped by for a quick check on the twins this afternoon. They appear to be doing OK after weathering a tropical downpour around 6 AM.
Thought I was back in Louisiana.

ANHU0424.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back