Arline - Best of '09

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

arlinescott

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some examples of my "Best of 2009". This was a very good year for growth in photography due to the startup of the pnwphotos forum. This exciting new way to share my work enable me to develop new techniques, learn about other places to shoot and inspired me to look for new opportunities and angles in my photography. These are samplings of some of the things I have learned from everyone in this group.

First, I will start with a reply to Steve E and his "Best of"... "For this photo I set the tripod in the stream and lowered it to its lowest position so that the stream would be the major element of the foreground. Take particular note of the mossy rocks. As I was attempting to negotiate one on my departure I joined the tripod in the creek and came out with soaking wet pants (go ahead and laugh again Arline). Such is the fun of stream and waterfall photography!":D:p:D

Steve's Glasses...
4235006111_63a047f274.jpg

During a tour of the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, WA, Angel Deb and I were able to get some very nice shots of the glass on display in the skywalk. These are two of the photos from this public walkway.

Museum of Glass...
4235005125_eda8df413c.jpg
4235780314_16a2ee1e60.jpg

Members of the PNW Forum met up in Woodland, WA for a tri-site tour of the Woodland Grist Mill, the tulip farms and the Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens. These garden art pieces were on display at the gift shop for the tulip fields and caught my eye. (Unfortunately, not the wallet...)

Ceramic Mushrooms...
4235781194_0e2bdd7bfd.jpg

Robert, Bob and I then headed to the Ridgefield Wildlife Preserve where this Jay was willing to pose for a few shots. (As long as Bob kept bribing him with peanuts anyway.)

Camp Robber...
4235781340_a91f8965e6.jpg

This next shot was taken at the Washington State Capitol Campus in Olympia at twilight. My tripod was "in use" at the time by my loving spouse so I decided to experiment by using only the available sunset, storm light and the available light on campus. I used the pop up flash to prevent blur and snapped away. I was very pleased with the lighting and glad I took the chance to try something new.

Legislative Building at Night...
4235781072_7e8723bea2.jpg

Our family has the opportunity to travel to different states to visit family and on one such trip to North Dakota this year, happened to find this damage from a tornado in a Dickinson neighborhood. Pieces of this office building were found inside itself, across the street imbeded in a home and portions of the roof imbeded in the truck of an oak tree down the street. (Notice the spiral stairway laying behind the desk but the computer still upright on the surface of the desk.)

Tornado Damage...
4235005633_e532381625.jpg

Using this forum has introduced me to new techniques and filters to use during post processing for special effects. This photo, taken along the Newaukum River near Chehalis, was treated with a free filter plug-in from Coffee Tea Photography at blogspot.com The filter uses texture, vignetting and color treatment to give an antique feel to the photo.

Vintage Tractor...
4235005187_abf0719262.jpg

Sub-zero temperatures in Chehalis, WA provided many photo opportunities including this frozen library fountain.

Frozen Fountain...
4235005467_e4054c3a81.jpg

Now, for just a very fun shot of our sweet and tolerant Jake!

Business Jake...
4235780834_67d3564513.jpg

2009 was a horrific year for Washington State Law Enforcement Officers. During the months of October, November and December, in three completely unrelated incidents, six police officers were shot and killed in the line of duty and two others were injured. One of these officers was a personal friend of mine and during the memorial at the Tacoma Dome for the "Fallen Four" of Lakewood Police, I was able to capture this image of four officers from British Columbia offering a final salute.

Salute...
4235005285_cab252ffe1.jpg

I love the richness of the colors in the museum of glass photos!

You could have found a better model for that first photo :)

LOL@Steve's glasses!! :)

I am glad to see your glass photos again. It is nice revisiting them. My favorite of all the shots is a tie between the officers and that first glass photo.

Love the humor in Jakes shot. If only he could talk.... ;)

Arline, this is a great series with a wide range of interests. I think your best shot and my favorite is the last shot, what a great tribute picture for all the fallen officers! Thanks for sharing!

Arline:

You did a great job with the Art Glass. I'd never imagined any of it could look so good.

Also a very fine tribute to your fallen friend and the other fallen officers.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back