Backyard Birds of Woodway, Washington

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Terry O

Sometimes the area around our feeders provides more birding opportunities than venturing forth to distant venues....

Most of my shots are taken from our deck using a Canon 7D and 500mm f4L + 1.4x tele-extender

Dark-eyed (Oregon) Junco
4-15-2014 Oregon Junco yard_3054.JPG

4/15/2014 Red-breasted Nuthatch
4-15-2014 red-breasted Nuthatch_3013_filtered.jpg

4/15/2014 Golden-crowned Sparrow at the birdbath
4-15-2014 golden-crowned sparrow_3043.JPG

Last edited:
Good shots. It is so convenient to set up your equipment in front of your favorite easy chair with your favorite cold beverage at hand and fire away. :cool:

Terry was laid up Thursday (5/29), so my son I and volunteered to pay him a home visit. His offer of ice cream sealed the deal. ;)

The three of us sat out on his back deck and took photos of birds. Terry hates bird feeder shots. In order to avoid posting identical photos like we usually do when shooting together, I will only post up feeder shots. Terry can post up his au natural shots.

This is the layout of Terry's feeders. Periodically this squirrel would jump up on the feeders, prompting Terry to shout at the squirrel (get out of here, you little #@*&^$#@! :mad: ) and walk over to shoo it away. :D

The squirrel would return a few minutes later. :rolleyes:
01.JPG

Male goldfinch
02.JPG

House finches
03.JPG

Male black-headed grosbeak
04.JPG

Female black-headed grosbeak
05.JPG

Last edited:
A male northern flicker visited the suet feeder.
06.JPG

07.JPG

The red V on the back of its neck identified it as a red/yellow shafted hybrid, like the one we have been photographing at the burrow at the Willow Creek fish hatchery. I don't believe it is the same bird due to the distance from Terry's house to the hatchery.
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

A red/yellow hybrid like this should be unusual for this area, as yellow-shafted northern flickers are usually found east of the Rockies. I did see a male yellow-shafted flicker at the Pt. Edwards walkway one winter two or three years ago. Since then I have seen a male hybrid in the area of the walkway and fish hatchery on more than one occasion. I don't know if my sightings were of the same or different birds.

Last edited:
More from the Yard

Good shots, Bill - it was fun just sitting on the deck waiting for something to show up. Here's a few shots sans feeders.

All shots were taken with the Canon 7D and 500mm f4L + 1.4x extender with the exception of the second post.

Female Black-headed Grosbeak
5-29-2014 f black-headed grosbeak_5186.JPG

I snuck this shot in from the day before - a juvie male Black-headed Grosbeak - taken with my hand-held 400mm f5.6L
5-27-2014 juvie black-haded grosbeak_4960.JPG

A male American Goldfinch - the lighting for the day was great for them - not too bright!
5-29-2014 m american goldfinch_5067.JPG

5-29-2014 m american goldfinch_5144.JPG

5-29-2014 m american goldfinch_5179.JPG

Did you get some shots of the female goldfinch, especially the one carrying the nest building material in her mouth?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back