Before and After

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a lot of fun shooting at the Cedar Creek Grist Mill but found myself using a variety of techniques to deal with the lighting that day. Here is a before and after shot and one strategy I used. There is some finishing I need to do on it where I missed a couple spots but you get the idea.

Before:
Intense sunlight on the Mill taken through the heavy shadow of the forest.
4495431805_8c46baab2a_o.jpg

The after:
There are many ways of dealing with this and this is just one. This is a single exposure. I used Topaz adjust to bring out the shadows. I like using an exposure that leans toward the underexposed side even in the bright areas. I believe you can always take out color data but can't add it.

Then I duplicated that layer in Photoshop. Then applied a gaussian blur to the layer and gave it a little bit of transparency so there is blur but can see a hint of detail through the blur. I also applied a mask to some of the layer so the mill and background forest is clean and sharp. I wanted to give the feeling of depth by driving your eye to the mill. If you look you can see an area that I should have masked out near the stream where it is blurred and should be clear.
4495432079_c9962b7fd8_o.jpg

Here is third version with the front sharp. What are your thoughts on this?
4496142282_8c9ac61514_o.jpg

Hi I am new here.

But just wanted to comment on your Beautiful photo you took.

I like this photo the best :) The 3rd photo down. Post #2.

I like to see a really sharp looking photo. :)

So I guess it just depends on the person own taste what they think looks like a great landscape photo

:) ~ Gina

Last edited:
Janice, my favorite so far is the first one and the third one down with the sharpness (definitely not the one with the blur) but I feel like there is contrast missing in the foreground.

Would you mind others experimenting with your photo?

This was a tough lighting day for certain. Damn that sun :)

Thanks everybody for your comments. This was an interesting experiment. I tried this on another forum too and it was interesting to see the range of opinions. I'm still not certain where my opinion is but I think I'm leaning along the same as Nina.

I love the dusting of snow, Nina. I think it would be great to be there on a winter day.

Last edited:
Janice, I go by there 3 - 4 times a year, as one of my breeders lives about 1 mile up the road ... so, next litter I'll be there again LOL (driving that road in the snow is NOT fun

Janice, I go by there 3 - 4 times a year, as one of my breeders lives about 1 mile up the road ... so, next litter I'll be there again LOL (driving that road in the snow is NOT fun

I'm sure it's not fun, I'm thinking snowshoes or snowmobile :)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back