Caspian Terns 2013

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

nice series, Bill... i must've hit it lucky to get shots of them diving in daylight here at Union Slough...

Saturday morning (7/20) this Caspian tern quite literally nearly lost its lunch off Sunset Ave.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

It took the tern two tries, but it did make a mid air catch to retrieve the fish.
05.JPG

Last edited:
An amazing series of shots, Bill. Great action! I assume this was with your 7D and 400 w/o the extender.

An amazing series of shots, Bill. Great action! I assume this was with your 7D and 400 w/o the extender.

Yes. Unlike the 5D Mk III, the autofocus of the 7D will not work when a 1.4x teleconverter is added to my 5.6/100-400L zoom. With its cropped frame sensor, I can get more reach with the 7D + 100-400L zoom than I can with the 5D Mk III + 1.4x teleconverter + 100-400L zoom. I will continue to use the 7D telephoto package this summer as long as low light or rapid auto focus is not an issue. I'll probably switch over to the 5D Mk III telephoto package once the gloom & doom return in the fall.

Some more.
06.JPG

07.JPG

This tern was surprised to find out that it was not the only animal hunting fish in the Sound.
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back