Chevrolet Equinox at sunset

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JDueckPhoto

I'm working on taking some marketing photos for a local GM dealership and have been doing some blending work to be able to get that soft light on the vehicle and the correct sky exposure. This involved taking the two photos in PS and layering them and fading one through the other. This is a recent one that turned out well I thought. Check it out.

EmmertBlendedsmall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The blending is good as is the angle of the car and turn of the front wheel which gives the car a power look. Turning the wheel the other direction would leave a big hole in the back end of the wheel well. I'd like to see a polarizer used to cut the glare/reflections on the glass, some dodging on the front of the tire to get some separation, and the DRL or park lights on but not the head lights - this will give some sparkle to the "eyes".

I like the idea of dodging the front tire. Good idea. I had a CP on the lens and it cut out some of the glass glare but not all of it. Maybe I didn't have it rotated right?

With so many different window glass angles it's difficult to get the CP just right. I spend a few seconds, maybe even a minute or more, to study the different effects at different settings before I settle on one.

I have taken many sunset shots over the years and found it to be very difficult to get a good balance between the sunset and the foreground. You did a very good job on both.

I have taken many sunset shots over the years and found it to be very difficult to get a good balance between the sunset and the foreground. You did a very good job on both.

Thanks Bill, I've found the location plays a part in the success of blending photos. I try to move the subject below the horizon for example.

I have used this location for a few of them and it seems to work great. Here is a HS senior and his restored Mustang, a family car that has been in their family for generations. BTW lens flare on this was pretty unavoidable and I chose the image that had the lowest amount and I got better pics of the car in a more ideal setting. ChrisColorPics2013 (44) WEB.jpg

I think the flare works well here. I question the amount of dead space behind the subject though. However, cutting it out eliminates the sun and then that kind of kills the impact of the flare for some reason. Maybe back he car up ???

I think the flare works well here. I question the amount of dead space behind the subject though. However, cutting it out eliminates the sun and then that kind of kills the impact of the flare for some reason. Maybe back he car up ???

Exactly, I struggled with this a little. I actually thought about cutting and removing a section of the picture in PS but I chose to use the rule of thirds to position the car and left the sunlight out of "balance"... next time moving the car back to put both "subjects" at ideal space will work better for balance. Good eye.

It would really help if you could swing that gate out of the way too. As it is it does point towards the subject and I think that helps.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back