Dam at Sunset Falls

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
You wanna do WHAT!?! Are you kidding me?

The proposed project would house a 19-foot diameter tunnel to flume the river to the powerhouse. This would certainly allow for a minimum flow to be sent over the falls, but the kicker is that the project's capacity would be approximately 2500 cubic feet per second - which is greater than the mean annual flow for the river at this point. This means that while Canyon and Sunset Falls would still flow during the winter months, they may be entirely dry during the summer under this proposal.

Full Story Here:

http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/blog_article.php?blID=68

Not familiar with Sunset Falls? That's not surprising, since it's not easily accesible. In fact, getting the "classic" photo usually means going down a private road. (Sign? What sign? I didn't see any sign...)

However, if you're a railfan, you will most likely recognized the location. Here's an image by forum member Steve Carter:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=294630

This location was used for a well know railroad publicity shot, and is popular with railroad photographers.

i've been down that road... there's a bunch of houses there, and as long as you don't park, no one's gonna give you trouble - for all they know, you're visiting someone in the neighborhood. you can actually get down to the rocks on the right side (in the attached photo), there are trails through those trees, but they're marked as being pretty dangerous - the rocks are slick when wet, and if you were to wind up in the water, you'd probably be beat to death before you got to the bottom!

that being said, i'd hate to see that "falls" (it's more of a cataract or waterslide, really...) disappear, even if it's not terribly photogenic or readily accessible to the average photographer...

Last edited:
What a gorgeous location. How ironic that dams are being removed and more are being built. It's all about economic benefit.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back