Edmonds Transportation Mix

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I was photographing birds at the marsh Saturday evening (8/8/15) with my 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 1.4x teleconverter mounted on a tripod.

Close call? Not really due to the compression factor of the equivalent of a 700mm lens.
01.JPG

Due to the dim light, I was not shooting at a small enough aperature setting to get both the osprey and airplane in focus. The plane may have been been behind a thin layer of clouds as well.
03.JPG

A brief shower produced a rainbow in the eastern sky as an airplane heading towards SeaTac flew past. The rainbow did not show up well in my original photos. I tried Picasa's post processing "autocontrast" feature, which turned the photos into a psychedelic flight of fancy.
04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

Last edited:
Some giant cruise ships sailed past Edmonds over Labor Day weekend while I was taking bird photos from the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. The combination of the 700mm focal length of the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter and the optical illusion created by the horizon made it appear that the ships were going to run aground at Marina Beach.

Saturday (9-5-15)
01.JPG

Sunday (9-6-15)
Focus on the ship.
02.JPG

Focus on the Marina Beach sign and cropped to eliminate the powerline over Willow Creek.
03.JPG

Last edited:
My house appears to be on the flight path from Paine Field. I believe there was an airshow there on Saturday (9/5/15).

A small plane flew west over my back deck. I slowed the shutter speed down to 1/500 to capture some prop spin.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

A bomber was flying south over Puget Sound at the same time, but I could not get the two planes in the same photo. I love the deep sound of those old piston engines.
05.JPG

yeah, apparently the Historic Flight Foundation, across the runway from Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection, put on a Vintage Aircraft Weekend - wish i'd known about it! not sure who the B-17 belongs to... it's probably from another museum, flown up for the weekend. same with the Stearman... the little yellow biplane... don't know of any local museums that have one. it was used as a primary trainer for years between the wars, finally retired at the end of WWII... a lot of 'em were converted for crop dusters and the like. nice catches, by the way...

Rocky and another friend of mine who is into aviation photography have got me interested in capturing the prop spin of propeller driven aircraft.

This float plane flew over Daren and me Wednesday (9-9-15) while we looking for birds at the Pt. Edwards retention pond. I shot at 1/250 and tried to follow the plane as I shot in order not to "blur" the body.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

There was a unique combination of clouds and sunlight Saturday (10/10/15) afternoon in between squalls which created some interesting shots.
01.JPG

Thunder was emanating from those dark clouds on the other side of Puget Sound.
02.JPG

Last edited:
Storm clouds over Puget Sound late Thursday afternoon (10/29/15) created some artsy monochromatic lighting conditions. Taken with both the 5III + 24-105L wide angle zoom and 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Nice and dramatic, Bill - those clouds make it. But, wait until tomorrow - take your rain gear :)

Terry

Lovely. Soon there will be plenty of opportunities for even more stormy skies.

But no opportunities for photos of the afternoon passenger train parade after the switch to standard time on Sunday plunges us into the dark Ages for the next four months.

The Olympic Mountains have been devoid of snow all summer and fall due to a dry winter and a warm summer. A recent storm dropped snow which made a more scenic background for shots Saturday (11/21/15) afternoon of a private plane flying over Puget Sound. The same storm finally doused a wildfire which had been burning for several months in a rain forest on the west side of the mountains.

I used PIcasa's auto contrast feature with mixed results. It gave color to the mountains, but rendered the plane a silhouette. Probably a case where Photo Shop would have come in handy.

7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, handheld
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
The snow-covered Olympics are a good background for photos of ships passing by Edmonds. Taken Friday (12-11-15) afternoon from the fishing pier.

I could title the series Fifty Shades of Blue-Gray.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG[SUB][/SUB]

Last edited:
Friday afternoon (1-29-16) a tug was bucking waves in Puget Sound as it pushed a U.S. Navy barge south past Edmonds.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

From Monday evening (6/13/16) on Sunset Ave.

Looking east. Boeing 7?7
01.JPG

02.JPG

Looking west. Victoria Clipper
001.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back