egret at the marina 10/25

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
people are gonna get tired of egret shots here before long, i'm afraid... but i won't get tired of shooting 'em! here are some from this afternoon...

IMG_8829%20crop%20sm_zpsha8bgmkq.jpg

IMG_8790%20crop%20sm_zps26duyaiy.jpg

IMG_8772%20crop%20sm_zps6tuhilte.jpg

IMG_8784%20crop%20sm2_zpsirzjpkqq.jpg

IMG_8862%20vert%20sm2_zpsh3dvrlro.jpg

Keep your shots coming. It's amazing what you guys are getting out there, some nice pics here!

I think they are probably more common up there than you guys may realize. They're somewhat common in the Portland area, I see one or two a lot of times when out at popular birding areas around here. What's really nice, you guys are getting some close-ups of these. Ours around here are usually viewed from a good distance.

Chad

Keep your shots coming. It's amazing what you guys are getting out there, some nice pics here!
I think they are probably more common up there than you guys may realize. They're somewhat common in the Portland area, I see one or two a lot of times when out at popular birding areas around here. What's really nice, you guys are getting some close-ups of these. Ours around here are usually viewed from a good distance.
Chad

thanks, Chad. i know they're fairly common down your way, and i've occasionally seen one at Nisqually down south toward Olympia, but i've lived in the Seattle area all my life and this is the first one i've seen here. the birding sites say they're considered "uncommon" visitors in this area, so i'm taking advantage of it while i can! ;) as for distance, most of my shots have been from 20 yards or less. many as close as 30 feet. the egret seems completely unfazed by the people and activity on the dock or the folks hauling their boats out onto trailers... the only thing that seems to get his goat is a great blue heron that sometimes tries to run him off. today there was no heron, and the egret fished to his heart's (or stomach's!) content - must've caught at least 15-20 of those little fish in the hour and a half or so i was watching him. finally the heron showed up and ran him off, but i think he'd pretty much eaten his fill by then anyway...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back