elusive pygmy owl

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
heard someone spotted a pygmy owl near Carnation again, so i headed out hoping to find it. it was sunny, at least when i left, and i'd heard it had been seen often close to the ground and near a path... no such luck! i finally found it, but it was at the end of the day, about a mile from where the sighting was reported, and the owl was way up in top of a tree. the sky had gotten cloudy, the light was gone, poor shooting angle... everything i did NOT want, so this is nowhere near as good as the shots i got last year. but, i did at least get to see the little rotter...

IMG_5519 sm.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I went out Saturday looking for it and found it at the original spot reported (not last year's site). The blackberry bushes were so thick I couldn't get sharp photos, so these never got posted on my flickr or facebook. He stayed pretty well hidden for the several hours that I was there, and it took a long time to locate it. I have to agree, last year's owl was much more cooperative. Anyway, here's my photos, unedited and uncropped. Despite the lack of photo ops, it's always a treat to see a pygmy owl! ;)

20160220-2R6A8987_export.jpg

20160220-2R6A9006_export.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I went out Saturday looking for it and found it at the original spot reported (not last year's site). The blackberry bushes were so thick I couldn't get sharp photos, so these never got posted on my flickr or facebook. He stayed pretty well hidden for the several hours that I was there, and it took a long time to locate it. I have to agree, last year's owl was much more cooperative. Anyway, here's my photos, unedited and uncropped. Despite the lack of photo ops, it's always a treat to see a pygmy owl! ;)

good eye, Tyler! i probably would never have spotted him in that thicket!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back