Flooded Meadow...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

ront

I have been contemplating making a switch from Sony to Nikon. I am test driving a Nikon D7000 with the 18-200mm lens. Here is a photo that I did yesterday.
Thanks for looking!

Ron

DSC056123-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I have been contemplating making a switch from Sony to Nikon. I am test driving a Nikon D700 with the 18-200mm lens. Here is a photo that I did yesterday.
Thanks for looking!

Ron

Great shot! Before you switch Id wait a few months for the A700 replacement. Im betting it will be stellar. Im saving for the body now for the price of the D700 you should be able to by the Sony A7XX and a Zeiss lens or 2 LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we live in mosquito alley Rocky:(. So far the Nikon is very nice. Only been playing with it for a day.

chitobeach, the possible arrival of the a77 is very much confusing this issue!! It sounds like a very nice camera if Sony ever delivers. I just have questions about how committed Sony is for this level of camera for the long run. We know where Canon and Nikon are.

Thanks, Ron

I have been contemplating making a switch from Sony to Nikon. I am test driving a Nikon D700 with the 18-200mm lens. Here is a photo that I did yesterday.
Thanks for looking!

Ron

I'm with chitobeach. I have a Sony A350 and I love it. I'm saving up though to either switch to the A55 with the translucent mirror or saving even more and jumping up to the A900 full frame. I'd stick with the Sony but that's just my two cent worth. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The a55 is way to small for my hands. I picked one up last week and did not care for it at all. It is a very nice little camera though. The a900/a850 are very nice, but not sure that is the way I care to go for now.

Ron

Yes, we live in mosquito alley Rocky:(. So far the Nikon is very nice. Only been playing with it for a day.

chitobeach, the possible arrival of the a77 is very much confusing this issue!! It sounds like a very nice camera if Sony ever delivers. I just have questions about how committed Sony is for this level of camera for the long run. We know where Canon and Nikon are.

Thanks, Ron

I shoot the A580 now and the IQ is better than the FF A900 and A850.

What Sony is starting to do is use the best sensors that they are producing rather than sell them all to Nikon and Pentax. Whats not clear is the lens the camera will be using the Alpha mount or the new E mount. The new 24.6 MP sensor for the A77 will not be shared with any other manufacturers. I think Sony is tired of being 3rd

I think Sony makes a great bang-for-the-buck lineup including pro lenses for a fraction of the cost of Nikon. But I really like the high ISO performance of the D700. If I go full frame I'd have to go to the D700.

I won't knock Sony, they make some good gear. Pentax is another one that makes really nice stuff at good prices.

However... The D700's low light capabilties are excellent, few cameras out there even come close! It's full frame too, which can be nice in some instances, for example your wide angle lens actually are wide angle! ;)

Ront... Just checking, do you mean D700 (full frame) or D7000 (really nice DX body that's the d90 replacement)?

The reason I ask is you mention the 18-200 lens. That lens is a DX lens, so it's not one that most folks use on the FX (full frame) D700. You can use it, but you go into DX mode and lose resolution if I'm not mistaken. Nikon recently released a 28-300 lens which is essentially the identical lens in FX flavor, right down to how much "reach" it has on an FX body, for the full frame cameras. That would be the lens to use on the D700.

However, I'm wondering if maybe you're playing with the D7000 instead? I'm also wondering what the guy in charge of the Nikon numbering system was thinking the last couple years....

Last edited:
Ront... Just checking, do you mean D700 (full frame) or D7000 (really nice DX body that's the d90 replacement)?

The reason I ask is you mention the 18-200 lens. That lens is a DX lens, so it's not one that most folks use on the FX (full frame) D700. You can use it, but you go into DX mode and lose resolution if I'm not mistaken. Nikon recently released a 28-300 lens which is essentially the identical lens in FX flavor, right down to how much "reach" it has on an FX body, for the full frame cameras. That would be the lens to use on the D700.

However, I'm wondering if maybe you're playing with the D7000 instead? I'm also wondering what the guy in charge of the Nikon numbering system was thinking the last couple years....

LMAO...........has Nikon ever made sense of the numbering system?

Hi BobH, I did indeed mean the D7000 and just changed it in my original post. Sorry for the confusion! Too many sevens and zeroes:(. I am still pretty well impressed with the high ISO capabilities of the D7000 also! The D700 is very nice, but WAY out of my price range!!

BTW, thanks for the POTD!

Ron

Hi BobH, I did indeed mean the D7000 and just changed it in my original post. Sorry for the confusion! Too many sevens and zeroes:(. I am still pretty well impressed with the high ISO capabilities of the D7000 also! The D700 is very nice, but WAY out of my price range!!

Ron

I was guessing that was the case. For most photographers, it's a better choice. The D700 is a great camera, but it's also big, heavy and rather expensive. Some folks (you know who you are...) need it. Most folks don't, and from everything I've read and heard the D7000 is a great camera at a great price! As you suggest, it also have excellent high ISO performance.

Arline has one, and she seems to like it a lot. Maybe we can coax her to post a few more photos.

Last edited:

Ron

Since its the D7000 Id say stick with Sony. The A580 has the same sensor and performance as the D7000 for much less, It has Live View and standard OVF. The A580 also a histogram preview mode. You already have lenses and for the price of just he D7000 body you can get an A580 and the Zeiss 16-80mm lens.

I borrowed a Nikon D7000 and my sister has the Pentax K5, I the A580 all have the same sensor but different software. I have shot them all and frankly the difference is minimal at best. The K5 is sharper image in standard mode. The Nikon has more contrast. The A580 has more vivid color. As for overall IQ is say the difference is not perceivable unless you blow the image up to 200%

If I had to start out again I would probably have the Pentax K5, the Sony A580 second and the Nikon D7000 3rd JMHO :D

...I have shot them all and frankly the difference is minimal at best. The K5 is sharper image in standard mode. The Nikon has more contrast. The A580 has more vivid color. As for overall IQ is say the difference is not perceivable unless you blow the image up to 200%

If I had to start out again I would probably have the Pentax K5, the Sony A580 second and the Nikon D7000 3rd JMHO :D

Contrast doesn't matter. Vivid color doesn't matter. Both can be changed in camera and/or in Photoshop.

Sharpness might matter, but that depends on whether the sharpness you're seeing is from the sensor or from processing. Nikon images tend to be soft "out of the camera" but the detail is there, and you can easily sharpen it up.

If they do have the same sensor, things should be pretty dang close. High ISO is the one area I'd take a serious look at. You can't fix that in Photoshop. Does one do significantly better in that area? (I have no idea)

If it does, and if that matters to you, then that will guide your choice. Otherwise, you can probably base your decision on the brand and the lens quality available in that brand.

Contrast doesn't matter. Vivid color doesn't matter. Both can be changed in camera and/or in Photoshop.

Sharpness might matter, but that depends on whether the sharpness you're seeing is from the sensor or from processing. Nikon images tend to be soft "out of the camera" but the detail is there, and you can easily sharpen it up.

If they do have the same sensor, things should be pretty dang close. High ISO is the one area I'd take a serious look at. You can't fix that in Photoshop. Does one do significantly better in that area? (I have no idea)

If it does, and if that matters to you, then that will guide your choice. Otherwise, you can probably base your decision on the brand and the lens quality available in that brand.

Lenses are a major factor in overall cost and quality of images. I love many of my older 35mm Minolta lenses, fantastic color rendition. good bokeh, and razor sharp IQ.

High ISO on all of these are pretty stellar to 3200.

DXO rates these camera's higher than any other cropped sensor ever with the K5 just ahead of the Nikon and Sony.

The Sony is the lightest having aluminum and composite frame rather than steel like the other 2

The differences all boil down to software by the manufacturers

I have never even seen the a580 and I will not buy it unseen. I like the a700, but above ISO 1600, I start to have problems. I think the biggest thing weighing on my mind here is how long Sony has taken to come up with a replacement for the a700, and we have not see it for proof positive yet. Sony could drop out of this game at any time. There is no mention of replacements for the FF cameras. I know I will take it in the shorts if I trade, but I do feel more confident in both Canon and Nikon.

Included is a photo I took this morning. Nikon D7000 and 18-200.

Ron

DSC0643-XL.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back