Great Horned Owls???

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Leia

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had to cancel our plans to go north to Nisqually because of funding (our computer is in the shop).

We ended up in Ridgefield being as it is just a short skip up the freeway from here (literally, just 4 exits away). I got to see a pair of very large owls; cinnamon teals, buffleheads, nutria, and a tree FILLED with blue swallows. Can't wait to get the PC back as editing photos on a mouseless (EEEK! :eek:) laptop without your favorite RAW reading software is NOT fun. :D

Are these guys Great Horned owls?? The only owls I saw in the California desert were big (BEAUTIFULLY COLORED!!!) barn owls.

View attachment 6071

Edited to add that if these colors are way off, it is because I am on a laptop we never use, that isn't calibrated.

Last edited:
GHO Indeed

Are these guys Great Horned owls?? The only owls I saw in the California desert were big (BEAUTIFULLY COLORED!!!) barn owls.

I believe you're right - Great Horned Owls. Looks like the one on the right is telling you off!

Yes they are. I was hoping to see them there when I was visiting yesterday. But didn't :( But saw lots of other critters. :)

Great shot.

Thanks for the ID confirmation guys. I didn't want to call them something they weren't. Mike, I got a couple of him yawning. The best shot of course, somehow someway did NOT take in RAW. All the shots before/after did and naturally it was the most underexposed. Grrrrr. Nothing like an underexposed JPG to work with. :(

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back