Hello

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

P Rae

Hello; I am an amateur who plays with the digital camera when I can. Much to learn, but enjoying the process. From Eastern WA, rural south of Spokane.

Tripod

Thanks for the encouragement to carry the tripod at all times. Most of my 'shots' like the bridge are looking good in snapshot view. Close exam always proves a bit of a tremor. I did confess to 'amateur' with many grins...:D I do want to keep improving, so thank you for all tips.

Thanks for the encouragement to carry the tripod at all times. Most of my 'shots' like the bridge are looking good in snapshot view. Close exam always proves a bit of a tremor. I did confess to 'amateur' with many grins...:D I do want to keep improving, so thank you for all tips.

In case the rest of you are wondering, the "tripod" reference was sent by PM. Sine P hadn't asked for critiques, and had specifically said "amateur" I didn't want to make the comment in public since it wasn't requested.

However, in a PM, I sent a welcome note, and then also suggested the use of a tripod which would allow for lower ISO and slower shutter speeds, all of which result in a better image.

I use a tripod for just about all photos of that kind. In fact, I'm so paranoid about vibrations for night shots that I don't even move when I'm taking one if I'm anywhere near the tripod, since often the ground will transfer subtle vibrations to the image.

As for looking good in the small view and/or on the camera's LCD, that does happen and fools just about everyone at first. Looks great! Nice and sharp! Get it home and look on the monitor and... "Hey, what happened?!?" (Another common preview problem is under-exposing in dimly lit conditions, since the LCD is bright and the dark conditions fool you. Use your histogram to check for that one...)

Two possible solutions can help.

The first suggestion is that if the camera lets you zoom in during preview, do that and check it. That saved me on my bridge shots. I noticed the first one was awfully grainy, wasn't sure why. Checked the ISO and it was up higher than it should have been. I kept checking as I shot, and kept shooting until I had one I liked. Lots of factors can mess up a shot like this, and I spent over two hours taking photos of the bridge and trying to get one that was "just right".

The second suggestion is to know your own personal limits for hand held shots. Most folks can do 1/60. If you brace yourself, and do some special techniques like s l o w l y pressing the shutterr with a very gentle squeeze, you can often get to 1/30 or even 1/25, especially with a VR lens.

How slow you can go doesn't matter as much as knowing what that speed is. Taking a sunset shot, and the camera says the exposure is 1/15th. You'll know that's too slow to hand hold, and you need a tripod.

And when all else fails, rest the camera on something near by.

One of my favorite night shots I took was resting the camera on the palm of my hand so it would tilt a bit for a ground up shot (click this link to see). Couldn't believe THAT one worked...hahaha. I have set cameras on rocks, curbs, cars, fences, etc. I admit though, tripods are easier. ;)

Welcome P Rae! Welcome!!!! :D

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back