If you are invited to Christmas Dinner

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Be certain you aren't on the menu.

The heron caught the little vole in the grass and walked over to the flooded field and repeatedly dunked the little fellow.
Wash befpre eating.jpg

A little snack as sunset.
Heron and Vole.jpg

Never thought of frogs legs for dinner.
hawk.jpg

hawk2.jpg

Last edited:
A story to tell. I have been diligently returning to Ridgefield National Wildlife refuge to catch the Otter. Wahoo . . . Today was the day! I saw a heron watching bubbles coming to the surface. I had a hunch it might be an otter under the surface, so I pulled my car over. I slid over to the passenger side, not easy crawling over that console at my "mature" age. Got settled in and watched a story unfold of a heron and an Otter. The Otter caught a perch and was happily munching away and a great blue heron was preparing to snag it. I got my camera set up and started shooting.

Otter.jpg

This was just the beginning. I had visions of my best ever wildlife shot. Then behind me a car pulled up. Out came the passengers, that put an end to my epic shot. I politely informed the woman and the others that they are to remain in their vehicles this time of year. She said, Oh I know that. I just wanted to see the otters. Sigh. Trying to educate her I said, your car acts like a blind, your getting out of the car disturbed them. She said, there are five people in the car and I can't see the otter, sorry. I'm thinking "@#$%^&" as the otters swam up the canal.

Parting shot.
Otter 2.jpg

All gathered up in the car and the car drove past me with the exception of Ms. "Oh I know" who chose to walk on the road instead. I later found all of them out of their car at the the next pullout. They were not alone as a father and child from another car stepped out of thier SUV. So much for the otter family.

All totaled I saw at least ten people get out of their cars.

Good shots. I didn't make it to Ridgefield this Christmas as the time was too short. Hopefully I'll get there later this winter.

A great series, Janice! Sad that some folks can't follow the rules!. Have a wonderful New Year!

A great series, Janice! Sad that some folks can't follow the rules!. Have a wonderful New Year!

Rumor has it the refuge is considering limiting traffic through the refuge for this very reason. There were some instances a couple years ago people were parking right next to an owl tree and climbing on their roof tops to shoot into the nest cavity. The tree fell down last year and the owls went elsewhere.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Here is what the otter was eating, a perch or maybe bluegill. I don't know my fish. :)

Otter w perch.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back