Lucky Bugger and the Snowy Owl

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

retief

The Lucky Bugger is ME!!!!

I was thinking of trying to meet up with the folks for the eclipse, but decided to head for some Swans instead, which were pretty much a bust. But then I found this on the way home. First one hand held leaning across the driver's seat, could be sharper but I sure didn't want to miss it. The owl could not have been more than 10-15 feet from my car. Second one sitting on the ground after backing up a bit. No crop on either. I am still amazed. And this is within just a few miles of my house. The Owl never flew, we are hoping it was not injured, I think it was just full. This is the reason to always be looking when you are just driving around.

Last edited:
Thank you all.

Unfortunately it turns out this owl is injured. While I was photographing the owl a DFW officer stopped, seeing me by the road with a "long lens" ;) We chatted for a bit, wondered if the bird was OK. I thought it was since it was able to flap its wing and I could see no obvious damage. A few hours later the officer drove by again, the bird was still in the same area, and did not fly when approached. The bird has been captured and is now in a rehab facility, report is a possible head injury.

Lesson for me, just because it looks OK, doesn't mean it is OK. I am going to try to find out more on progress, I'm glad the DFW officer saw me now and stopped.

Another quick update. I spoke to the folks at the rehab center, and the owl is eating, although being hand fed at this time. They figure that if she had not been rescued on Saturday, she would not have lasted the day. I am going to go to the rehab center to see what they do, and hopefully to learn more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back