My versions of the moonrise...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tony S

Well here it goes. I got out to Clear Lake nice and early to relax on a great evening. Before the moonrise I got a few shots of the mountain, lake, and kids jumping off the platform into the lake .

Pretty soon some guy shows up... "Are you Tony? I'm Bob." Hey, finally nice to meet you and put a face to the name. Too bad the moon showed up late though, it rises over the mountain about 40 minutes after the time listed for moonrise due to the elevation of the mountain (also a bit farther to the south). The light on the mountain was great and would have been perfect had it come up when I expected. So instead sunset had occured and the mountain was no longer lit making it tough to get exposures of the mountain and the moon right.

Here's a few of the ones I've done quickly without anything but the SOC raw conversion... the first two were shot with the 400mm monster.

Uuuu, uuu uuu... there it is...
391192020.jpg

Dang it moves fast when it's right on the horizon, only 51 seconds after the first sighting.
391192024.jpg

The moon is getting brighter while the mountain is getting darker...
391192023.jpg

OK, got the mountain, but the moon is just too darned bright to see any details. Guess I'll have to do some work on one after this.
391192025.jpg

Last edited:
OK.. my poor attempt at an HDR conversion of a series of three photos. Looks like I still need a bit of work on the compositing of the moon itself into the image.

391194507.jpg

Nice series. Compositing is not always easy to pull off.

But with a little effort . . .

3929285262_0511912c7a_z.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back