need ID

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

tripod

need help with ID I have no idea Billlll

Attachments

• DSC_7316.jpg
    DSC_7316.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 208
looks like a long-billed or marbled murrelet... Bill? can you confirm? if the former, it's a pretty rare sighting. according to Birdweb.org, there have only been 5 accepted records of this bird in the state to date.

Looks like a Common Murre in winter plumage

I agree: common murre. The give-away is the dark crescent-shaped stripe starting at the back of its eye and going down its neck.
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/common-murre

I once helped rescue one at the Edmonds fishing pier. It had gotten hooked by a fisherman and reeled up on the pier. We removed the hook and it quickly flew back into the water.

Last edited:
i figured you'd know what it was, Bill... i'm no good with most of those shore- and water-birds. i did a search on the bird ID sites, and it seemed to resemble a murrelet, but that was as far as i got.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back