northern harrier

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
got these shots of a male northern harrier at Ebey Marsh on Whidbey Island this afternoon - i'd seen these birds before, but these are the first decent shots i've gotten of one. he flew by about 30 yards in front of me. the sun was getting pretty low, and filtered through some high clouds, so the light was nice and soft... 7D, 100-400 @ 400mm, 1/640 @ f/7.1

IMG_8535sm_zps8c9d2e8f.jpg

IMG_8537cropsm_filtered_zps16e1fe8c.jpg

IMG_8540cropsm_filtered_zpsc1ba698f.jpg

Last edited:
Good shots and a fortunate find. Female norther harriers outnumber males. A male will typically service and supply food for four different nests.

Last edited:
Good shots and a fortunate find. Female norther harriers outnumber males. A male will typically service and supply food for four different nests.

thanks, Bill. that would explain why i've never seen a gray one!

Super harrier shots!

thanks, Joe!

Very good shots, Rocky. I find it very difficult to get these guys in photo range.
Max

thanks, Max. the neat part was, he came to me! i was standing on the shoulder of the road, and he started on his low-level run about a hundred yards away, coming toward me, staying just above the tops of the grass and parallel to the road, until after he'd passed me completely, then veered off into the middle of the field.

Nice captures Rocky. I will need to check out Ebey Marsh on Whidbey Island :)

thanks, Glenn! it seems like a pretty good spot for both raptors and waterfowl.. i'll probably be going back there myself.

Oh, these are nice!

thanks, Chad!

Great shots - the male Harrier is really something to behold - the lighting was just perfect!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back