NW Trek Bald Eagle

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

AngelDeb

Mrs H
Staff member
Northwest Trek, near Eatonville, WA, has some Bald Eagles on display. Unfortunately, they've been injured, and can't survive in the wild. They have a nice enclosure and if you're patient you can get nice photos.

View attachment 2638

Nice looking shots of some of my neighbors (only ten minutes from home). I like the angle of the first, would have been a bit better had you gotten down lower.
Later in the year, usually around July, the late afternoon sun will shine through the trees on them and you sometimes get the eagle "spot lighted" in the sun with the background going to black if you expose for the white head.

How's the antler growth going on the elk? I've been too busy to get out there lately.

Tony, there was no "going lower", that one was down near the ground and Deb was shooting as low as the barrier would allow.

As for the sun shot, I got one, but to be honest I didn't really like it that much. The feathers are still blown out, and while I can crank them down to show definition in them, they turn grey when I do.

View attachment 2641

I actually like Deb's shots better, they show better details. It's funny, I was all excited about having the eagle in the sun, and his feathers looked spectacular. Unfortunately, that's one place where a camera doesn't have the range your eyes do. The brilliant white feathers pretty much lost detail.

yeah, I know the positon is limited and also depends on where the eagle is in the enclosure. Trek has been one of my favorite places to go when there's nothing else to do. I've been going there since before it opened, my dad worked on the building of it when I was a kid and I went with him one morning to find the moose licking grease off the backhoe when we got there. I've been hooked ever since.

I have a few shots of the eagle in the "spot light effect" of the sun. Exposed for the whites only, not for detail in any of the darker feathers.
13651466.jpg

Some days all you can get is a good shot of them screaming at the crows overhead.
62157959.jpg

Stunning, someday I'll have to make it up there. I better google it and find out more about it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back