Owl Season 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Barreds are a cavity nesting bird. For them to be working a nest-hole is a really good sign!
If they are at that hole, you will want to really keep an eye on that. There's a good chance it's a nest. Once the owlets appear out of the hole it's only a matter of days until they make their way up into the canopy.
Chad

i think you misread my post, Chad.. it's the pileated woodpeckers working on a nesting hole. i have yet to see the barred owl at Pine Ridge... ;)

Here's a couple of images taken on 4.29.15 which I just recently got around to. These are of two separate siblings from the SW Portland nest.

The first photo shows one of the owlets sticking his foot out in the midst of preening; the owlet is on a limb several feet above the nest-hole in the tree. The second photo shows an owlet coming out of the nest-hole before heading back onto a limb right next to the nest.
710369_orig.jpg

4319228_orig.jpg

Chad

I spent six weeks in Yellowstone in May and June and had some nice moments with owls throughout the trip. Early in the trip I saw three different Northern pygmy owls (my first in the park), I saw a long-eared owl (an extremely rare sighting in Yellowstone) flying across the road before dawn one morning... and there were loads of great horned owl sightings.

I recently uploaded my full Spring 2015 photo gallery to my website. Here's a preview of a few of the GHO pics:

day23owl.jpg

owlgreathorned061615ys4.jpg

owlgreathorned061115ys12.jpg

owlgreathorned061715ys10.jpg

owlgreathorned051715ys22.jpg

You can see more owl photos from the trip, as well as the rest of my general Spring 2015 wildlife photos here.

Max

My owl year hasn't ended yet, thankfully. I was in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons leading my fall photo tour, and also had a few days on my own afterward. We found a couple more great horned owls, and I also saw my first great grays in a couple years.

A light morph juvenile great gray, probably the lightest one I've seen. You can tell it's a juvenile by the pointed tail feathers.
owlgreatgray100715ys7.jpg

A very wet great horned photographed on a rainy morning in the Tetons.
owlgreathorned100315ys8.jpg

Great horned being harassed by a raven.
owlgreathorned100815ys6.jpg

An adult great gray with some nice bokeh. It took off before I could move into better position and not have the moss in the way. This is likely the parent of the juvenile GGO above, as it was photographed in the same area a day later.
owlgreatgray100815ys1.jpg

By the way, you can see more photos from my fall trip here.

Max

*My earlier post didn't show up so here it is, again.

A Barred Owl has returned to my "owl tree" in downtown Bellingham. This has happened several years in a row, always around the end of October, so I guess it's an October Owl.

BADO1030.jpg

I went up to Stanwood today and found a few short-eared owls. They mostly stayed on the far side of the fields, but came closer in a few times for some good photos.

20151127-2R6A4491_export.jpg

nice, Tyler! you're sure right about them keeping their distance though! i only managed a few decent shots, and none of them perching... here are my owls from today...

IMG_0486%20crop%20sm_zpsgis4cdxn.jpg

IMG_0487%20crop%20sm_zps7rxjnupm.jpg

IMG_0485%20crop%20sm_zpszufxq4xb.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back