Purchasing a new Canon Lens??? Help???

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Janice said:
If you had a 70-200 and a 100-400 in your bag, the 100-400 would collect a lot of dust over the 70-200 f 2.8

I agree with Janice. I own a Canon 400 (prime) that is sharp as a tack...but it is SO limited and often TOO much. I prefer my husbands 70-200 F2.8 as it is more 'usable' and we are planning on buying a doubler for it. My next lens is a 70-200 just like his.

I too shoot for a newspaper, sports, wildlife, portraits and events. I have the 17-35 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, 100-400 4.5-5.6 , and the 400 2.8 IS. The work horse of the bunch is the 70-200. It lives pretty much permanently on one body and the other lenses bounce back and forth on the second body. The set up with the 70-200 is the first thing I reach for with everything else a second thought.

The 70-200 works great with the 1.4TC, but images do get soft with the 2x to the point I don't consider that an option with the 400. I may be selling the 100-400 soon as I only got that to take up to Alaska with me on my fishing trip and for me it's really tough going to that from the 400 prime. If I keep it it will only be to cut down weight while hiking and still have the longer reach. I see no need for it for most everything I do for the paper and sports.

There you go! I would also tend to agree.

In fact, for most photographers, I'd suggest the 70-200 and a 24-70, both f 2.8. The one main exception would be somebody who is primarily a wildlife shooter, then a 70-300 or 100-400 would be a better choice, especially for birders.

Bob, yes, when you add a 2x extender to the 70-200 f/2.8 you have a 5.6 ... I only add the 2x outside, where needing the 2.8 really doesn't matter, inside is where the 2.8 shines LOL outside, the sun sometimes shines

it is the versatility of the lens that makes it great, having the short & the long, the wide when needed ... :)

the only reason I have the 2x and put it on my 70-200 is I need my two 70-200's for indoor (dog) sports, so my $$ have been spent, rather than invest in another outdoor only lens (already own the sigma 50-500), the 2x is the simple solution for me

it truely depends on what a person's needs are, as to which lens would work best, but if that person will be shooting any indoor event or sport, a 2.8 is a must in the bag :)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back