Rainier Roadtrip 7/13/13

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Went for a road trip to Rainier on Saturday 7/13.

There's still quite a bit of snow on the ground, but it was a great day for a hike. We hiked Skyline Trail to Glacier Vista

BH1_0925.JPG
BH1_0944.JPG
BH1_0953.JPG
BH1_0970-Edit.JPG

Last edited:
Fun with Marmots. Deb stalks this little guy.

BH1_0979.JPG
BH1_0983.JPG
BH1_0989.JPG

Last edited:
Meanwhile, as "Mr Periscope" distracted us, his pal snuck up right behind me. Finally Deb noticed him and I got some closeups.

BH1_1003.JPG
BH1_1009.JPG
BH1_1013-Edit.JPG
BH1_1017.JPG

Last edited:
Wonderful view back down the mountain, including one of my favorite locations, Ricksecker Point.

BH1_1038.JPG
BH1_1139.JPG
BH1_1346.JPG
BH1_1355.JPG
BH1_1359.JPG

Last edited:
Surprisingly, Reflection Lake was thawed out.

BH1_1532.JPG
BH1_1583.JPG
BH1_1589.JPG

Last edited:
A few more from the trip down Stevens Canyon

BH1_1598.JPG
BH1_1610.JPG
BH1_1625.JPG
BH1_1649.JPG

Tipsoo Lake was also thawed, but it didn't have any reflection at all. I was a bit disappointed by that.

BH1_1679.JPG

Last edited:
wow... quite the trip, Bob! alas, my knees preclude such adventures... i'm curious about the shot of Sunbeam Falls... looks like you had a higher than normal perspective for that. were you standing on the bridge railing or something? or is the falls just lower than i remember it?

wow... quite the trip, Bob! alas, my knees preclude such adventures... i'm curious about the shot of Sunbeam Falls... looks like you had a higher than normal perspective for that. were you standing on the bridge railing or something? or is the falls just lower than i remember it?

No tricks there except using a wide angle lens. The light on it was gorgeous, so I parked just past the falls, walked over, and took a couple snaps. No tight rope walking, just standing on the roadway, or possibly on the curb, if there even is one, but not climbing up on anything.

I thought about getting out the tripod and doing a long exposure with my ND filter, but we still had a long ways to go so I simply grabbed a few shots handheld.

wow, things are thawing very quickly. I was just up at tipsoo lake a week before you and there was still tons of snow. Part of the parking lot was even still covered by snow.

CB, I think the parking lot did still have some snow, it's in a more shaded area. Also, there was still lots of snow on the west side of the lake, where it's shady in the afternoon.

I just looked through my photos; it was the 6th that I was up there, I guess. Here is what it looked like then:

DSC_3804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back