Ridgefield NWR, this is the time to visit. (Jan 10, 2015)

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took a drive to Ridgefield yesterday. The fields are flooded, and the usual annual visitors have arrived. Even saw four otters, but they were too elusive this time around. I'll catch them next time.

16254288041_acba33207c_o.jpg
Hmm, what's that down there? by Janice L, on Flickr

16070280877_f640785a8e_o.jpg
I'm watching you. by Janice L, on Flickr

16256123325_fd9e55a794_o.jpg
Do I have salad on my teeth? by Janice L, on Flickr

16068596378_37f36fb359_o.jpg
I love ducks. by Janice L, on Flickr

16223619526_f1860f3462_o.jpg
Chickadee, dee, dee by Janice L, on Flickr

Yes, the birds are surprisingly active right now. I spotted two Bald Eagles in a snag at the retention pond at the local shopping mall on Saturday. I think they may be getting ready to start migrating back north again.

Yes, the birds are surprisingly active right now. I spotted two Bald Eagles in a snag at the retention pond at the local shopping mall on Saturday. I think they may be getting ready to start migrating back north again.

I think Ridgefield has several pairs of eagles, there was some competition going on while we were there. I have been travelling a lot to Eugene lately and nearly every time see Bald Eagles.

I love Ridgefield. I just wish my son were able to drive. That would make it far easier for me to take photos without having to worry about driving off the road into one of the waterways.

I think Ridgefield has several pairs of eagles, there was some competition going on while we were there. I have been travelling a lot to Eugene lately and nearly every time see Bald Eagles.

I have noticed one nest at Ridgefield southeast of the kiosk where you pay the entry fee. The nest is on your right as you near the end of the loop.

Very nice indeed!

I keep wanting to get down that way, but it just so far away. Have to leave a 4am to make dawn for crying out loud! But when I see these, well, just need to get my butt in gear.

Bill, get one of those Google Autonomous cars!

Have to leave a 4am to make dawn for crying out loud! But when I see these, well, just need to get my butt in gear.

Bill, get one of those Google Autonomous cars!

I have the same problem with eagles on the Nooksack. Leaving at 4 and/or fighting Seattle traffic makes it hard to get motivated.

Portland/Vancouver is pretty cool though. Maybe you can do a two day trip and do the early shift the second day before heading home. Maybe stay in Kelso/Longview so you can get a place at a decent rate, or Vancouver may work too.

Portland/Vancouver is pretty cool though. Maybe you can do a two day trip and do the early shift the second day before heading home. Maybe stay in Kelso/Longview so you can get a place at a decent rate, or Vancouver may work too.

Throw in a stop at Nisqually NWR on the way down or back home.

I have the same problem with eagles on the Nooksack. Leaving at 4 and/or fighting Seattle traffic makes it hard to get motivated.

you don't need to be there by dawn... i didn't get there till almost 10:30 when i went up, and still got some great images. getting through the Seattle traffic... well, can't help you with that, i'm afraid...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back