Seattle Fireworks - Where to shoot?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
OK, it's time for the big New Year's Eve celebration in Seattle. In case you just moved to the Northwest from Siberia, every year they have a huge fireworks show at the Space Needle on New Years Eve.

Every year, photographers come from far and wide to photograph it.

The question is, where is a good place to shoot from?

Let's start with the obvious, Kerry Park. You know the view, you've seen it lots of times:

View attachment 4608

Advantages:

Nice view of the Space Needle and Downtown

Iconic Location

Immediately recognizable

Nice, if tiny, park in a good part of town, you'll feel reasonably safe, probably as safe as anywhere else at midnight.

Disadvantages:

Iconic location - EVERYBODY has this shot!

Iconic location - I'm not sure, but I think there's already some guy there with an umbrella, cooler, lawn chair and sleeping bag, staking out the best tripod spot.

Just you, that special someone... ...and 1,000 of your closest friends, many of them drunk, bumping into your tripod.

Parking? Uh, yeah, right, sure, no problem. Wear you hiking shoes or simply show up at about 11:30... in the morning!

If the wind is from the South, as it often is, the fireworks smoke will quickly obscure your shots.

So... anyone got a better suggestion that doesn't involve trying to sneak on board King 5 TV's helicopter?

Last edited:
This was shot several years ago from a condo on Capitol Hill.

106846.jpg

Advantage: the wind was, in fact, blowing north, which would have obscured the view from QA hill.

Advantage: The balcony had an overhang, so I would have stayed dry if it were raining (it wasn't that time).

Advantage: I was only out on the cold balcony for the 5 minutes of the actual fireworks, and spent the rest of the evening inside with friends in warm comfort.

Moral: It's good to have friends with views.

Looks great Scott!

So, Scott, old friend, old buddy, old pal... What time is the party and what kind of wine does your friend drink? :D

Ok, so for those of us without "connections" are there any decent public viewing locations on Capitol Hill? I've shot the Space Needle from Melrose before, and it was a decent, if not great, view.

Ha! Scott I didn't realize who you were till I saw your web address on your photo. Nice to see you here too! Nice shot! :)

I'm thinking you might want to think about up by the Asian Arts museum (Volunteer Park) and shoot through the black donut, have some mild light so the donut is visible. I'm betting the crowds will be quite a bit less up there and I know there a some better spots off the side streets.

A few quick shots from when I was up there shooting a wedding...

My daughter who was heloing out for the day of shooting...
394294294.jpg

the naked donut with the needle behind it...
394294293.gif

A little more foreground in the night time shot... not lined up with the donut and no extra lighting used.
394294292.gif

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back