Seattle New Years Eve - Where to shoot?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Time for the 2011 edition of "Where to shoot Seattle's New Year's Eve Fireworks?"

I've copied a few of last year's post to get things started.

--------------------

OK, it's time for the big New Year's Eve celebration in Seattle. In case you just moved to the Northwest from Siberia, every year they have a huge fireworks show at the Space Needle on New Years Eve.

Every year, photographers come from far and wide to photograph it.

The question is, where is a good place to shoot from?

Let's start with the obvious, Kerry Park. You know the view, you've seen it lots of times...

Advantages:

Nice view of the Space Needle and Downtown

Iconic Location

Immediately recognizable

Nice, if tiny, park in a good part of town, you'll feel reasonably safe, probably as safe as anywhere else at midnight.

Disadvantages:

Iconic location - EVERYBODY has this shot!

Iconic location - I'm not sure, but I think there's already some guy there with an umbrella, cooler, lawn chair and sleeping bag, staking out the best tripod spot.

Just you, that special someone... ...and 3,000 of your closest friends, many of them drunk, bumping into your tripod.

Parking? Uh, yeah, right, sure, no problem. Wear you hiking shoes or simply show up at about 11:30... in the morning!

If the wind is from the South, as it often is, the fireworks smoke will quickly obscure your shots.

So... anyone got a better suggestion that doesn't involve trying to sneak on board King 5 TV's helicopter?

Last edited:
This was shot several years ago from a condo on Capitol Hill.

106846.jpg

Advantage: the wind was, in fact, blowing north, which would have obscured the view from QA hill.

Advantage: The balcony had an overhang, so I would have stayed dry if it were raining (it wasn't that time).

Advantage: I was only out on the cold balcony for the 5 minutes of the actual fireworks, and spent the rest of the evening inside with friends in warm comfort.

Moral: It's good to have friends with views.

I'm thinking you might want to think about up by the Asian Arts museum (Volunteer Park) and shoot through the black donut, have some mild light so the donut is visible. I'm betting the crowds will be quite a bit less up there and I know there a some better spots off the side streets.

A few quick shots from when I was up there shooting a wedding...

My daughter who was heloing out for the day of shooting...
394294294.jpg

the naked donut with the needle behind it...
394294293.gif

A little more foreground in the night time shot... not lined up with the donut and no extra lighting used.
394294292.gif

OK, first some groundwork. The only New Year's Eve fireworks that I'm aware of in Seattle is at the Space Needle. Of course some of the locals will shoot of their own fireworks too, but the only full size pro show I know is at Seattle Center.

So, the question is, where to shoot?

Let's start with the obvious. Why not simply go to Seattle center? That's certainly an option, and you'd be close to the action. However, being that close would probably make it tough to get good shots. You typically want to be a bit further away, to get some background and establish a sense of place.

Here's a shot by Rob that looks to be taken fairly close to Seattle Center:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4615/title/glitz/cat/526

Last edited:
Last year I ended up shooting from West Seattle. The results were good, and I will probably shoot there again this year, as long as the predicted winds are favorable to that location.

View attachment 7921

Last edited:
This will give you a good idea of how much smoke the fireworks make. It's important to try and get upwind!

Last edited:
Glitz

Thanks for using my shot, Bob. I usually shoot from the pavillion, directly under the needle. I usually work up until 7 or 8pm that night, then race down there to get my great spot... several hours too early. The key to this location is to get to the back of the pavillion where you are out of foot traffic and other serious photogs will flock to spots near you, creating this natural area of "pro" shooters. I like to "mark" my tripod legs with glow sticks (rubberbanded onto the legs) near the feet, so folks passing by have the opportunity to step over them. (This actually works better here, than Kerry Park). I like to use this vantage point to shoot candids of folks in the crowd while waiting for the show to begin. Dress warmly, be sure to have rain gear for your gear if needed, and of course, use a tripod and release for the best chances of good shots.

One disadvantage to shooting here is the restriction of selling images that have only the Space Needle in them. The Space Needle has copywritten their image, and if any photograph features only the needle in it, the photographer must obtain permission to sell the image. From the pavillion, it is quite difficult to get great shots of the fireworks AND include other buildings to nullify the license requirement.

On a side note, I will be shooting from a different location this year, hoping to get some light play over Lake Union, with the Space Needle and other buildings under the fireworks. Kudos to those members that can name this vantage point!

On a side note, I will be shooting from a different location this year, hoping to get some light play over Lake Union, with the Space Needle and other buildings under the fireworks. Kudos to those members that can name this vantage point!

Obviously you're somewhere along Fairview, (East Side of Lake Union) but I can't place the exact location. It looks like you might be on one of the houseboat docks?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back