Snarls, Growls, Howls, Winter in Montana at the Triple D Game Farm

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

retief

A smorgasbord of Snarls, Growls and Howls from our trip to Montana. Let me say that what these do not convey is the sound, and in some cases, such as the Snow Leopard, that sound was quite intimidating. Nancy asked if it was "communicating", the answer was "Yes, it is communicating that it is pissed off ...." :)

Let me know what you think, hope you enjoy. Any suggestions on improvements always welcome.

Arctic Fox:

1. A Growl
p531455197-5.jpg

2. A Howl, serenading the Little Lady
p58813315-5.jpg

Arctic Wolf:

3. A Growl
p302064363-5.jpg

4. A Classic Howl
p367835473-5.jpg

Bobcat:

5. Just a Pretty Little Kitty - A Snarl
p39896957-5.jpg

Snow Leopard:

6. A Pretty Big Kitty, with a equally BIG Snarl!
p263695629-5.jpg

Tundra Wolves

7. Don't Bug Me - Snarl #1
p479953859-5.jpg

#8. The Wolfie Two-Step - Snarl #2
p320724945-5.jpg

#9. The Kiss, well sort of - Snarl #3
p98306274-5.jpg

For those who are not familiar with this venue, while these animals are maintained by the Game Farm, they are by no means "tame". When you photograph, most often there is nothing between you and the animals except air. We were behind a fence when the Wolf Pack was running, as they are quite exuberant. The Snow Leopard we just had a low, maybe 3 foot, plastic netting defining where we could be. This shot the Leopard was less than 15 feet away. Quite an incredible place to photograph, without a doubt.

ps. Most of these are not cropped at all, and where they are, very little. All with either the 80-400 or the 70-200, I think all with the D810.

pps. For those who saw this initially, I have now put the CORRECT image in as the last one. What a doofus.

Last edited:
Amazing shots, very nice! Clear, sharp, and great contrast with the snow.

Bill, have you found any options to save money at this venue? I've looked into them before, I'm very impressed, but at $350 to $500 for a one or two hour session, that's really outside of my budget.

Bill, have you found any options to save money at this venue? I've looked into them before, I'm very impressed, but at $350 to $500 for a one or two hour session, that's really outside of my budget.

Full refund if one of the "models" eats you. ;)

Full refund if one of the "models" eats you. ;)

Wow, so that explains it. I thought that when she said "It costs an arm and a leg" it was just a figure of speech!

Joking aside, note that I did NOT say it wasn't worth it, only that it's not something I'd spend that much on right now.

Last edited:
Thank you all, you are very kind. And yes, you do sign a waiver that if you become food, you don't get a refund, but you do get an even closer view of the animal ...... :eek:

BobH, I sent you a PM with some info on how to GREATLY reduce the cost. I agree, the standard "day-rate" for drop-ins can be quite intimidating, but by putting together a group the rate is tremendously reduced.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back