Stanwood Owls

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

fiznatty

I went to Stanwood this morning to check on the Long-Eared Owls that have been causing quite a stir. Found them (largely hidden and napping) as well as some very active Short-Eared Owls. Though it was a bit dark and cloudy, it was still one of the better owl shoots I've had around here the last few years.

owl19.jpg

owl20.jpg

owl66.jpg

owl70.jpg

owl101.jpg

Max

Not bad at all, actually. I heard that the LEOs have been attracting a zoo of birders and photographers, but I was there first thing in the morning with only one other shooter. Three hours later there were maybe six people at most watching the long-eareds. I have a feeling the iffy weather and the end of the holidays thinned the crowds a bit.

Max

Great photos, Max! That's one of the best photos I've seen of the Stanwood long-eared owl. I always thought the short-eared owls were more active in the evening, but it sounds like they're just as active in the morning? Were the short-eared owls flying over the field nearest the parking lot?

Great photos, Max! That's one of the best photos I've seen of the Stanwood long-eared owl. I always thought the short-eared owls were more active in the evening, but it sounds like they're just as active in the morning? Were the short-eared owls flying over the field nearest the parking lot?

Thanks. Yeah, they were in the field near the lot, and down along the path. There were two or three in that direct area, often perched right next to the path. Further down along the dyke there were another 3-4 shorties circling in the distance.

I usually go out in the morning, so that's when my best luck has occurred with the short-eared. But I think the long-eared are generally more active at the very end of the day. I was very fortunate that one of the LEOs perked up enough and preened a bit so I could get the eyes open in the first shot posted above.

I'm hoping to make at least one last trip up this week before I depart on my next international adventure Saturday. Hopefully it'll stay dry another day or two. ;)

Max

Short-eared owls are one of the few (the only?) owls which hunt during the day. While the Edmonds marsh may be a good environment for short-eared owls and northern harriers, I think our large number of resident crows keep both species from taking up winter residency there. I usually photograph a northern harrier at the marsh once a year, I have only photographed a short-eared owl at the marsh once.... ever. It was being chased by a vengeful pack of the evil minions of the Dark Lord at the time.

There are several spots in the Stillaguamish and Skagit flats off Puget Sound where short-eared owls can be photographed out hunting in the winter. Other good spots are the DFW site known as the "West 90" near Edison and the public walking path on the levee at Boundary Bay, BC. At many locations, short-eared owls must compete for food with other members of their species + northern harriers.

It is not unusual to see aerial skirmishes between two short-eared owls or a short-eared owl and a northern harrier. One bird will often try to steal the captured prey of the other. In January of 2012, I photographed such an incident when Terry and I were visiting the West 90 as part of a snowy owl expedition. My 100-400L telephoto zoom had conked out, so I had to borrow Terry's 70-200L telephoto zoom + 1.4x teleconverter to catch the action.

A short-eared owl had captured a small rodent and was immediately set upon by a northern harrier, which caused the owl to drop the rodent. The owl, harrier, and free falling rodent were all in focus in my photo. When the rodent hit the ground, it was immediately pounced upon by several birds. Scroll down to post #290 of this thread from the South Bay Riders Forum to see my photos of the action:

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/109941/page-20

Last edited:
Rocky: yes, this was at Eide Road.

I usually go to Rawlins Road on Fir Island and West 90 (which Bill mentioned) to look for Shorties. I was in both spots last week, but the owl action wasn't nearly as close as yesterday's. Here are a few shots from my shoot last week at Rawlins.

owl9.jpg

goose37.jpg

swan9.jpg

Max

Well done, Max! I love the Eide road area, will post a few of mine in a bit.

Bill mentioned the Harriers and the Voles, I saw something at Eide a bit ago that was rather surprising, a Short-ear landed on the path right on a Vole, the Vole looked like it was playing dead. The owl poked it, Vole ran between the owl's legs and stopped. Owl turned around, stared at it, then flew away. Momma said "Don't play with your food", obviously this owl was not very hungry.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back