Steptoe Butte

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Mike-PDX

Back from a couple of days in the Palouse. The weather caused us to come home a day early - something about snow flurries mixed with the rain in Pullman that just didn't seem conducive to outdoor photography. I guess I'm just a wimp…

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions! I did get one rather nice sunset on Steptoe Butte. Maybe it is just hard to take bad photos when the light is so nice, but I thought these turned out fairly good.
Palouse-1.jpgPalouse-2.jpgPalouse-3.jpgPalouse-4.jpgPalouse-5.jpg

Sorry you had to head back home early Mike!! The weather here has not been the best lately!! I like your photos here. I do think that they could be even better though. I still have a lot to learn (!!) but I think if you added some contrast and saturation it would help them. This is how my last day ended up there:(.

Ron

_DSC7781-2-XL.jpg

I like your photos here. I do think that they could be even better though. I still have a lot to learn (!!) but I think if you added some contrast and saturation it would help them.
Thanks for the feedback Ron. I appreciate it. The contrast of these shots was pretty low to begin with, so I did add a bunch already. Maybe I didn't go far enough with a couple of them, but I was trying to stop just short of making them look garish. Here is a re-do of the "Whitman County Growers" shot. Does it look better? Also a 6-shot pano that I didn't post before. Even with the less than perfect weather, this trip really whetted my appetite for the Palouse and I will definitely want to come back for more!
Palouse-4.jpgPalouse-6.jpg

Last edited:
beautiful country here in WA.. i never heard of Palouse before. You must have been way up on a hill for those shots?

beautiful country here in WA.. i never heard of Palouse before. You must have been way up on a hill for those shots?
"The Palouse" is an area in eastern Washington and northern Idaho which includes the Palouse River and the town of Palouse, WA. Its boundaries are undefined, but I maintain that the real Palouse does not extend beyond Whitman County and a very small section of southern Spokane County in Washington, and Latah County in Idaho.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palouse

Steptoe Butte is a unique geological formation which dominates the area. There is a road which winds around it up to the top where Mike took those photos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steptoe_Butte

Good shots. I love the Palouse and need to get back there to start photographing it.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back