The Car Shoot

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Digital Latte

Rob and Tracy
Had a great time shooting a Chrysler 300 today.... huge Duck fan, can you tell? :) (was only going for the rolling shot today)

Which image do you like best? least?

dfdf80f4.jpg

285ce2f2.jpg

04646807.jpg

888dffd5.jpg

661eab1e.jpg

cc0ad3d2.jpg

1d9d8d29.jpg

Thanks for look'n

Last edited:
like 3 and 7, I guess because they are not so tilted, but i see the concept in car photo's to "tilt" sometimes.

I suppose you has a driver and spotter? were you shooting out a car window?

we had

Driver - of the model car
Driver - of the car the shooter was in
Shooter - of the car (model style)
and a 4 year old look out that fell asleep and missed the whole shoot :)

It was a hatch back, we shot out the back. Had 2 AB800's rigged up with a Vagabond mini battery pack, 2 remote receivers, and one trigger on the camera.

Canon 7D, 24-105 f/4 L, Tv mode, EV -1, Shutter between 1/20 and 1/10, AF mode was on AI servo, had the center 9 AF points on auto selection.....WB was set to flash, but the light was all over the place so it was adjusted after in post (a great reason to shoot RAW!)

Last edited:
My favorites are 1 and 7. I love the black and white and tunnel-vision shot and the star effect on the headlights on one.
All the others are well shot... but I find the driver's hands just a little distracting. Of the color shots, I think 7 would be the most effective for an advertisement because the driver is the most obscured, which leaves the viewer the opportunity to picture themselves driving the car. (presuming a car ad is what you were going for?)

The shots with the most motion blur

Those are the ones that seem the strongest to me. I also seem to like the darker shots over the lighter ones, but I might suggest lightening up the car just a bit. Just my un-educated opinion, of course. ;)

DL, a question about the use of the tilted frame. It seems natural for shots like this. I'm just curious about your thoughts on using the angled shot. Was it just to give more of a sense of motion? When would you do it and when would you not? At least with the shots you showed here you seemed to favor tilting one way more than the other. Was that intentional, and why? Or did it just work out that way?

Enquiring minds, and all that... :)

Those are the ones that seem the strongest to me. I also seem to like the darker shots over the lighter ones, but I might suggest lightening up the car just a bit. Just my un-educated opinion, of course. ;)

DL, a question about the use of the tilted frame. It seems natural for shots like this. I'm just curious about your thoughts on using the angled shot. Was it just to give more of a sense of motion? When would you do it and when would you not? At least with the shots you showed here you seemed to favor tilting one way more than the other. Was that intentional, and why? Or did it just work out that way?

Enquiring minds, and all that... :)

The correct answer is:

Horizontal line conveys stability, expansiveness and earth.

Vertical line conveys height, strength and the human form.

Diagonal line conveys instability, movement and energy.

My personal answer is, It takes a boring car picture and sucks you in.....

for example, In my opinion, if you compare image 2 -3 you have basically the same angle on the car (camera is off the ground the same distance), but #2 seems to have more "motion" or even emotion to me,you really get a sense of zooming around on the road, the lines of the blury road really sucks me in to whats going on, and seems to even be "moving" faster, and really coming at you.... that's just my opinion. As for why there are more tilting in one direction then the other... I just thought they looked good that way :)

The goal was to provide a rolling shot, our next shoot will be stills, Ill post them as well

I like #1 the most, it seems to convey dynamic energy the best. The driver's hands are not distracting for me.

Thanks!

For those of us still trying to learn this composition stuff, it might make an interesting Photo Challenge to try and make use of that idea.

I agree with the others. 1 and 7 are my faves. Super well done.

This inspired me to do some glamor shots of my 1993 Suzuki, but they didn't turn out as hot as yours. ;)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back