Tractor HDR

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Digital Latte

Rob and Tracy
still trying to learn this HDR stuff, each keeper gets better IMO, thoughts?

075fdd6e.jpg

I think the HDR is fine, but way too much sky and the tractor seems to list to the left a tad.

Generally speaking I like it. The image doesn't shout "Hey look, I'm HDR! Pretty cool, huh?!?!"

In fact, it doesn't have much of an HDR look at all, which presumably is what you were aiming for, and is good.

There is one problem I have with it though. Many HDR programs seem to create a blue cast in the final image. Some are worse than others, but they all seem to do it to some effect.

I took it into Photoshop and adjusted the white balance a bit. I think the color looks a bit more natural (which may, or may not, be what you were looking for). It could still use some fine tuning, but you can see the difference in the colors. As I mentioned, you may want the "cool blue" effect, it's a matter of taste. (Are you looking for a cool blue twilight look, or a warmer sunset effect? That will make a difference in your choice)

View attachment 5202

Last edited:
I notice that mine is probably a bit too orange (it looks slightly different in Photoshop, not quite as orange), but the grass and tree color looks pretty reasonable. Probably half way in between would look better. :)

E - Old equipment tends to lean, especially when parked for long periods on soft ground. But the horizon seems to be sloping a bit too, so you may be correct.

Meanwhile, the tractor is actually a grader or as the old guys call them a "Motor Patrol Grader" Not much use for plowing, but real handy if you need a road leveled.

Last edited:
A touch of the blue blended back in...

At this point I'm splitting hairs, and how your monitor is calibrated will make a difference in which one looks best. To do this right, the original photographer would be doing these adjustments, making his prints, and deciding which one he prefers in print. It's definitely a judgement call.

View attachment 5203

A touch of the blue blended back in...

At this point I'm splitting hairs, and how your monitor is calibrated will make a difference in which one looks best. To do this right, the original photographer would be doing these adjustments, making his prints, and deciding which one he prefers in print. It's definitely a judgement call.

View attachment 5203

looks a little pink on my end... no planned prints on this one, still learning

I'll go another direction here. I think the composition is great. I really like the amount of sky as it speaks to the story very well. Crop out the sky and you have a portrait of a tractor. Leave it be and you have a portrait of a tractor, on a beautiful night, in a vast farm-scape.

As to the tone, I think it's totally a preference thing. Being that I am a Lane County local, the original seems to be be about the most accurate depiction of current light and weather conditions, though. At least on my monitor.

Nice image, DL.

I love the simplicity of it. It suits your style, well.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back