Virginia Rail

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
these little guys usually are very hard to photograph, and get most birder-types all a-twitter just at the mention that someone saw one... they are quite reclusive, and often can be very hard to spot moving in deep cover among reeds and grasses in marshy areas. but they do present photo ops if you're in the right place at the right time. this little guy gave me about 5 seconds before he disappeared back into cover. it was about dusk, in deep shade, so this was shot at ISO1600 with my 40D and 100-400 @ 400mm...

IMG_8317sm.jpg

OK, I'll admit it. I clicked on this link fully expecting to see a photo of a Virgnia Railway Express commuter train...

Yea, I've got a one track mind. No, I had no idea how/why Rocky would have photographed one.

Sadly Bob, we were on the same page there. And Rocky... Once again your photo has drawn me in. I didn't even know these birds were around here.

Nice catch! Was this at Juanita? I have only found these twice, once at Juanita, the other at a little park in Mill Creek of all places.

Nice catch! Was this at Juanita? I have only found these twice, once at Juanita, the other at a little park in Mill Creek of all places.

thanks, Bill... yep, this was at Juanita. i've gotten a number of shots of rails there over the last couple of years. they're pretty shy, and it's not all that easy to catch 'em in the open, but with patience, sometimes i get lucky! ;)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back