Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Friday afternoon (4/29) a pair of western kingbirds were hunting bugs at the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway. Pt. Edwards is just south of the marsh, so this is probably the same pair that was spotted at the marsh earlier in the week.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
A female Anna's hummer was feeding on blossoms from bushes along the walkway.
01.JPG

02.JPG

She took advantage of a twig to rest her wings while feeding on a blossom.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Winking at me.
05.JPG

Tuesday morning (5/3) a pair of tree swallows was discussing setting up housekeeping in the nest box off the #3 viewing platform across from the outdoor tennis courts.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
The largest flock of sandpipers I have ever seen at the marsh was present all day. Even though it was overcast, photography was still difficult due to heat waves.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

There may have been as many as 100 birds. It may have been a mixed flock, but the least sandpipers were easiest to recognize. This one was dabbling in the mud off the #1 viewing platform where I usually find snipes.
05.JPG

I photographed a peregrine falcon at nearby Pt. Edwards on 4/27, so I was on the lookout for one diving down at the sandpipers.

Last edited:
Six northern shovelers circled the marsh. You can see some of them in the background of the sandpiper photos posted above.
01.JPG

Last edited:
The presence of flocks of sandpipers at the marsh continued Wednesday (5/4) although not in as great of numbers as previous days. The light was much better for photography, however. I am still waiting for a peregrine falcon to show up for lunch.

This looked like a flock of western sandpipers based on their relatively all white undersides, black legs and longer, slightly drooped bills.
01.JPG

02.JPG

These appeared to be least sandpipers in breeding plumage based on their coloration (as illustrated in Sibley's) and yellow legs.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Wesley was jealous of all the attention I was giving the sandpipers and landed on a nearby tree above the boardwalk.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Friday afternoon (5/6) a barn swallow was taking a break on an antennae attached to a building behind the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. I have been trying to get SIF (swallows in flight) shots at the marsh and Sprague Pond in Lynnwood.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Like Rocky, I have been trying to get some SIF shots. Monday (5/9) I caught a swallow hauling some nesting material past the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.

01.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday morning (5/11) my son and I went up to the Pt. Edwards walkway, a great place to photograph swallows. I believe they make their nests on the condos, which must look like cliffs and caves to them.

Juvie violet-green swallow. Typical 100:1 ratio of attempted:usable SIF shots.
01.JPG

An adult male violet-green swallow perched on the roof for several minutes, which made for much easier photos.
02.JPG

We walked down to the retention pond to get some shots of Rufus with the sun behind us. I need to drag my 500L telephoto + tripod down there, as Rufus' perch is just beyond the useful reach of my 100-400L telephoto zoom.
03.JPG

04.JPG

A male Anna's hummer acts as a sentry beside the walkway just before you get to the retention pond.
05.JPG

Last edited:
That evening I picked my son up from tennis lessons at Lynndale Park in Lynnwood. I took a photo of this guy from the pickup as we left. Watch out for owls!
01.JPG

A male northern flicker near the #1 viewing platform of the marsh Sunday afternoon (5/15). The patch of red on the back of its head reveals it to be a red-shafted/yellow-shafted intergrade. I have photographed several of these intergrade birds in the Pt. Edwards/marsh/fish hatchery area over the past 3-4 years. I wonder if they are all descendents of the lone male yellow-shafted flicker I photographed there about four years ago.

01.JPG

Last edited:
Some shots from Tuesday (5/17).

A black-headed grosbeak at Yost Park.
1.JPG

It is the time of year when red-winged blackbirds chase crows away from their nesting areas. This confrontation took place at the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

A raven has been hanging out at the pond on the Unocal grounds east of the train tracks. Tuesday it flew over to the train tracks where it was constantly harassed by its cousins, the crows. The raven emitted a strange distress sounding call every time an evil minion of the Dark Lord dove at it.
001.JPG

002.JPG

Thursday (5/19).

The raven continues to hang out in the area of the marsh and the Unocal grounds despite constant harassment by crows. I don't know if it is one of the Woodway pair or a visitor.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I spotted a warbling vireo at Yost Park.
001.JPG

Last edited:
Friday afternoon (5/20) I caught a female rufous hummingbird at Yost Park. The reflected sunlight off the hummer's breast was so bright that I had to shoot at -2/3 exposure compensation. This is the first rufous I have seen outside the Pt. Edwards area. According to one bird book, the rufous hummer is the smallest bird in the Puget Sound region.

01.JPG

02.JPG

A mother mallard with small ducklings swimming in Shell Creek at Yost Park.
001.JPG

I thought this looked artsy.
002.JPG

Last edited:
Some SIF shots of violet-green swallows Tuesday morning (5/24) at Mini Park (Sprague Pond) in Lynnwood. Some of the swallows were landing on the grass to inspect geese feathers.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back