a few more from yesterday's trip up north...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
just a few more shots from yesterday's trip to the Nooksack River... again with the 7D and 100-400L...

IMG_2459crop_filteredsm_zps135fe36b.jpg

IMG_2462cropsm_zps082a0feb.jpg

IMG_2383crop_filteredsm_zps9b4469ad.jpg

IMG_2385cropsm_zps4776e32e.jpg

Nice ones! Where were you on the Nooksack? (What general area?)

After years of Rockport getting all of the publicity, I think the Nooksack is becoming the go-to place for eagles. I know I've had better luck there and while mileage wise they're about the same distance, since much of the route to the Nooksack is via freeways, it's an easier drive for me.

thanks, guys! Bob, these were shot from the bridge on Mosquito Lake Road, just east of Deming. i'd never been up there to shoot eagles, but someone told me about it, so i figured i'd go have a look. got there around 10:30, and of course the bridge was lined with tripods and big glass, and there were cars parked on the shoulder for a hundred yards. by noon-ish, the eagle population had thinned markedly - i'd recommend getting there fairly early in the morning. lotta folks using 500s, but for what i was after - the BIF shots - the 100-400 actually worked better. plenty of fly-bys at close range (i.e. 20-25 yards or so) as well as some farther out. if the weather allows, i may try to run up there again before the end of the month... i took 9 up there, and 542/I-5 back home. the latter is marginally longer, but the time's about the same, since the speed limits on 9 are lower...

Well done, the Eagles here are generally rather cooperative. The crowds have gotten a bit annoying over the last few years and the locals are getting a bit annoyed. Be sure to stay behind the white line off the road, there were some occasions last year where the local constabulary got involved to be sure people, and their cars, stayed off the road.

You make a good point about the focal length, more is not always better.

Well done, the Eagles here are generally rather cooperative. The crowds have gotten a bit annoying over the last few years and the locals are getting a bit annoyed. Be sure to stay behind the white line off the road, there were some occasions last year where the local constabulary got involved to be sure people, and their cars, stayed off the road.

You make a good point about the focal length, more is not always better.

thanks, Bill. yeah, i see where people might get a bit touchy. there were quite a few cars when i was there, though most folks were pretty good about staying off the road... i think i'm gonna try to make another trip up tomorrow, before the salmon runs are over, and see if i can get some more shots. hopefully won't be too crowded, being a weekday and all... ;)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back