Another Day With The Dogs

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Leia

Super Moderator
Staff member
....from my saturday shoot at the Ridgefield, WA agility trials.

There will be several posts so be patient as I load them up.

First, some "AIR" shots.

I admit that I am torn between what is the hardest to shoot. For me, it is one of the following:

• Solid black dogs (trying to lock a focus on a flat solid color)
  • Very fast tiny dogs (less target for the F2 center spot focus! EEK!!)
  • The Border Collie and Australian rockets (SOOOO fast!!!)

More images to follow!

Last edited:
For me, the best part of the day is watching the interactions between dogs and people.

Here are some of the candids I got.

1: He was laughing and smiling at the dog. I liked that.

2: This very enthusiastic dog kept leaping up before taking it's starting position.

3: At the posing table. Almost looks like the judge is talking to the dog ;)

4: This little guy hit the table across his stomach when he jumped up to land. Getting checked out and some extra lovings. :)

Chutes are another obstacle I am working on getting focused out of the chute. With F2 aperture and center focusing there isn't a lot of margin for error and if they are running in a chute towards you it isn't as easy as when you can follow the 'lump' from the side view. Inconsistent assortment of hits and misses for me. It seems I am often focused on the hind end of the dog. Fortunately, it isn't an always thing and is improving with practice.

1: Not focused on the face but I wanted to share that expression as it leaped out.

2: That's on the face. Sometimes I get lucky.

3: Again, like #1, focused on the hind end as I wasn't fast enough. Just wanted to share the expression of this one too, as it leaped out.

4: This was a little guy moving quite quickly.

5: And one of the two breeds I have the hardest times staying with. Midsized and faster than anything thing else. LAND ROCKETS!!!! Note how the chute is lifted off the ground.

Last edited:
great shots ... all of them ... I never slow down to enjoy them, LOL the two of you bring a new freshness to it for me :)

BTW, aperature was f/2.8 not 2.0 LOL

you both were shooting with the Canon 50D and a 70-200mm f/2.8L

ISO 6400, 1/200th - 1/320th, f/2.8, WB 3600K

although some of the images look noisy on screen, I've printed many images up to 11x14 and all are noise free ... Leia & Janice have seen many of my 8x10 prints and will attest to the print quality :)

Nina, Yes it is amazing how noise free your prints are. I don't see how you do it. It took me forever just to look at my photos let alone select and process them. I have enough to keep me going for a looooooong time. And I did not shoot nearly as many as Leia.

Janice, it is called workflow ... I had the whole weekend sorted & uploaded to the proof gallery before noon today :)

Leia, try focusing on the edge of black dogs- it locks on easier. Believe me, we have two black Labs, one working on it's junior hunting title, and one that's retired. Our yellow is much easier to get a photo of- he doesn't move around much.

Jake
Pre-focusing doesn't help much, because, to get sharp images at such a slow shutter speed we must lock on & pan, if we shoot when something passes thru a focal plane, at 1/200th or so, our keeper rate drastically drops below acceptable.
we use AI Servo, multi burst (avg 3 shot bursts) and alot of panning ...this puts the keeper rate for Jan & Leia up around 65-75% and for my daughter & I about 90-95% vs 25-35% on a pre lock focus range LOL

Ideally, at the speed of some of these dogs, we'd love to have a shutter speed of 1/1000th or faster, but indoors, using ISO 6400 & f/2.8 ... we can't get there ... this weekend on the Sunny days we were between 1/250th & 1/320th, on Sunday (overcast) it was a stretch to maintain 1/200th to 1/250th

indoor sports pushes every ounce of ability out of a camera (and the shooter) & I've shot 7 years of youth basketball & volleyball, plus 20+ years of horse shows ... plus tons of fashion shows ... guess you can say I spend my life shooting moving targets in the dark LOL

Jake,
imagine shooting a bird (or bug) in flight ... what are your optimal conditions?
- you'll want the fastest shutter speed possible to have the least amount of blur in the wings
- you'd want the deepest dof you can get, so you have both the head & the tail in focus (or recognizable)
to do that, you hope for a nice sunny day, so you can achieve the above two settings
yes, you can push your ISO to help you get there, but how far does your camera's ISO go before the noise comes?

now, apply those thoughts to dogs running full speed (20-40mph) thru obsticles ... same as a bird in flight

now, go inside the barn and try to shoot that bird flying around in there with no flash ... it's the same challenge with agility (or any other indoor sport)

On top of that, I expect my shooters to nail 6-9 good keeper images per dog, in the 45 seconds that dog is on course they must achieve the keepers, look thru all images just shot & cull the bad, and be ready to shoot the next dog entering the ring, all in those 45 seconds ... and continue at that pace for eternity

for many it is the challenge of the task, they walk in thinking it is easy, they come back to master it, because it is a challenge, as with alot of the things we attempt to shoot with our cameras, challenge of a new task is part of it, that is what keeps photography exciting

Why do I encourage others to try it? Well, I'm starting to book larger shows, where I will be needing to hire experienced photographers for future events, so opening the doors and letting people try it & train on it benefits me in the long run :)

As 1/2 my shows are in the Auburn area and the rest down here, I coach people all over to do this :) wanna come give it a try?

Nina said:
we'd love to have a shutter speed of 1/1000th or faster, but indoors, using ISO 6400 & f/2.8 ... we can't get there

I would HAPPILY settle for a nice f12 at 1/320 instead. :D

Yeah Jake, it is really a challenge and so humbling shooting 20-40mph small objects weaving in and out of objects vying for the camera's focus....while trying to stay locked on the dogs face...in very low light. There are no shadows in that arena. The lighting is AWFUL and I rejoiced when I got to hit 1/320 when it was sunny outside. Still, it wasn't enough light to change the 6400 iso or the f2.8 aperture.

I HATE my percentages. Honest truth, the first day I got back in January and saw my images I wanted to jump up and down on my camera and take up crochet. I was THAT shocked and bummed.

Looking at the photos from my third try (March) compared to January's and February's I see a LOT of improvement, but STILL....it is very very frustrating and it is constant work to get those shots with constant changes (like one dog might veer right and another left or funnier yet, I even had one veer under unexpectedly) through at times more than a dozen obstacles, all within 45 seconds, cull the bad shots within 15 seconds and start all over again.

If I didn't have it in my head that I WILL get better at this (I am stubborn) I would have given up and just been happy shooting slow exposures in the dark and my fast ones in the light for the rest of my days. However, I know it can be done (seeing Nina's)....so there is hope that after April's shoots my percentages will again get better.

And then the next time after, even better yet.

The more I practice, the luckier I get. :D

The focus is a frustration for me too. Luckily my landscapes don't move :) If I was a hunter shooting with a gun I'd starve. Not that I couldn't afford to lose a little weight. I do feel I'm getting higher percentages each time out.

Nina, what breed is this little one? I noticed I have caught him/her at all the shows. Very long body but jumps quite well. He/she is always last in the events before they redecorate the rings and he/she does the 4" stuff. ADORABLE trooper.....

Leia, I think he's a ShitZu or however you say it, they have a couple more in the 8" category

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back