Another Portland Area Newby

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

RickG

Hi. I found this board a few days ago and have been reading (lurking) it since then. I see a few familiar names from another board that I used to post on. Anyway, professionally, I shoot artwork and run a small giclee printing business. On the photography-for-the-fun-of-it side, I've mainly been into landscapes, but I'll shoot anything that catches my eye.

I'm looking forward to get to acquainted with you folks.

Whew! For a second there I thought you said, "please go away". I've heard of making a poor first impression, but that would have been a world's record. ;)

well, he did say he recognized some of us from other forums, maybe he recognized my alter ego, and thought what he thought it was thinking LOL

Welcome from the other side of Oregon. I use to say the dry side but that hasn't been the case this spring.

Thanks to you all for the welcomes. I think this is going to be a fun place to hang out.

Judy, your side of the mountains may not have been dry this spring, but by comparison...I'm thinking about investing in a submarine.

Hello and welcome aboard! We do indeed try to make this place fun, and I also welcome ideas and suggestions from the members. My goal is to create a relaxed and friendly place to talk about photography, and one that's comfortable for everyone, no matter what skill level they are.

I don't know -- after the past couple of days here in Portland, I'm beginning to wonder when this blasted heat wave will let up!

Just wait 5 minutes and the weather will change, That's the motto we use in our neck of the woods. The only thing for certain is we can always complain about too hot, too cold, too wet, or too dry but still have no control over what we get each day.

Welcome Rick. Always nice to see another local res in the forums, (Portland area). I am very interested in the giclee process, although I know enough to realize it's not something to pick up as an amateur hobby. Perhaps one day I can come over and see your work and process.

We might work that out, Rascal. I'm in the middle of ordering a new printer, the Canon IPF 8300, to replace my trusty but creaky Epson 9600. I'm home-based, but once I get things up and running I'd be happy to show you what we do.

Welcome!!!! What is your favorite thing to photograph in the Portland area??

Hi, Janice & Leia. Thanks for the welcomes.

Leia, I don't know that I have a favorite thing to photograph in Portland (unless it's my grandkids), but one place that I do go back to shoot fairly frequently is Hughe's Water Gardens (near Wilsonville) for the water lilies. Lots of varieties and the water in the ponds is nearly black so you get great contrast and interesting sky reflections.

We might work that out, Rascal. I'm in the middle of ordering a new printer, the Canon IPF 8300, to replace my trusty but creaky Epson 9600. I'm home-based, but once I get things up and running I'd be happy to show you what we do.

Thanks Rick, I'll look forward to that.

Great shot of the water lilly. I had not heard of the water gardens before. This is the main reason I began to seek out this forum, to find interesting places to shoot in the PNW. Places that are less known and not on the typical tourist stops.

As is my nature, I had to know more. I found this interesting link with an interesting review on what to expect at the "Hughes Water Garden".

There's this park, right? With waterfalls and ponds and lilies and frogs and brightly colored fish, winding paths and bamboo forests, and soothing sounds all around. But here's the twist: it's all for sale!

Here there are hot houses and fixins for water features bigger than the size of my whole property, and itty bitty mini water landscapes that you can populate with your own imaginary miniature fairy family. There's even a water plant called fairy moss, just waiting to be added to your teeny pond.

My first response upon entering the premises was the strong desire to fall asleep. If I could have lain down on one of the benches, I'd still be there, napping my life away.

When I mentioned this to one of the staff members, he informed me that the initial reaction of most visitors is the immediate need to use the facilities. Sadly, the only facilities are on the corners of the property, and are labeled "Honey Buckets."

That said, if I've strapped the kids in the car, and made sure everyone's already used the bathroom, I could easily see Hughes Water Gardens as a quick and easy day trip destination, no purchase necessary. But if you're like me, you'll probably end up leaving with something, even if it's just a (free) tadpole or, in my case, a beautiful Arctic Willow.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back