First Sunsets of Fall

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Christena

yeah it's Fish Lake again but this place doesn't disappoint and I love the challenge of finding new ways of shooting the Lake.

FishLakeFall2011055ps.jpg

FishLakeFall2011049ps.jpg

FishLakeFall2011025ps.jpg

FishLakeFall2011083ps.jpg

FishLakeFall2011063ps.jpg

really like # 1 & 2, but i think i'd be tempted to crop away a lot of the black foreground, maybe up to the bottom of the canoe. the rest doesn't add anything to the photo, and these'd look great in a horizontal orientation... that or try to bring out a bit of detail from the foreground. i pulled the second one down and gave it a 30-second tweak with ReDynaMix, and it really adds to the image... not a lot of detail in the foreground, but not just black, either... if you like, i'll post it

really like # 1 & 2, but i think i'd be tempted to crop away a lot of the black foreground, maybe up to the bottom of the canoe. the rest doesn't add anything to the photo, and these'd look great in a horizontal orientation... that or try to bring out a bit of detail from the foreground. i pulled the second one down and gave it a 30-second tweak with ReDynaMix, and it really adds to the image... not a lot of detail in the foreground, but not just black, either... if you like, i'll post it

Yes!! I would love to see them :) I see your point about too much foreground in the first one...maybe it's a difference in monitors but on mine there are a lot of great subtle colors that show off the rocks on mine in the second one....I'm going to make some prints of these so I know for sure....I do need glasses so maybe I'm not seeing things right, so I'm glad I'm not getting any "out of focus" comments ;)

I especially like how you have chosen to include either the canoe or the gnarled wood.

Thanks Ron and Janice :) I try to find something interesting on the shore so it's not the typical sunset shot.

Where are ya Squirl ? :/

sorry... gone all day yesterday to the coast, didn't get back till midnite... here's the edit i did to bring out some detail in the foreground... basically just a quick pass through ReDynaMix, and a touch of noise reduction... tell me what you think!

FishLakeFall2011049ps_filtered.jpg

Yes!! I would love to see them :) I see your point about too much foreground in the first one...maybe it's a difference in monitors but on mine there are a lot of great subtle colors that show off the rocks on mine in the second one....I'm going to make some prints of these so I know for sure....I do need glasses so maybe I'm not seeing things right, so I'm glad I'm not getting any "out of focus" comments ;)

if you're using an LCD monitor, they tend to display things brighter than they actually are, and the brightness is very dependent on the viewing angle. on my calibrated CRT, the second shot had almost no detail visible at all...

sorry... gone all day yesterday to the coast, didn't get back till midnite... here's the edit i did to bring out some detail in the foreground... basically just a quick pass through ReDynaMix, and a touch of noise reduction... tell me what you think!

FishLakeFall2011049ps_filtered.jpg

PRETTY!!!! :) Is ReDynaMix a free download? I love how the lighting is brought out in the rocks.

PRETTY!!!! :) Is ReDynaMix a free download? I love how the lighting is brought out in the rocks.

Christena.

it's $16 from MediaChance software. it's a plug-in for photoshop, and i find i use it a lot for tweaking images that need just a bit of help. it can produce much the same effect as a full HDR conversion, but with only one image - no need for bracketed exposures. it can be a bit tricky - sometimes it pulls out a lot of noise - but with a bit of practice, it can produce really nice results.

Christena.

it's $16 from MediaChance software. it's a plug-in for photoshop, and i find i use it a lot for tweaking images that need just a bit of help. it can produce much the same effect as a full HDR conversion, but with only one image - no need for bracketed exposures. it can be a bit tricky - sometimes it pulls out a lot of noise - but with a bit of practice, it can produce really nice results.

Do I order online or can I buy it at a store?

I really like 5, looks like you thought out the drift wood in just the right place and centered the mountain top in the "driftwood frame" great shooting!

I need to get this bit of software. Both Rocky and Bob mentioned it a while back and I forgot all about it. It looks great!!

Ron

I really like 5, looks like you thought out the drift wood in just the right place and centered the mountain top in the "driftwood frame" great shooting!

Thank you!!! and yep...planned my angles ahead of time. Usually that overturned stump is in the water but the lake and dropped so I was able to walk right up to it..

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back