Great Egret in Bellingham

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Joemeche

This one has been on Southside for three days now, looking relatively content, even in today's rainy, blustery weather.
All it did while I was there was preen....a lot! GREG1106Two.jpg

nice shot, Joe... i haven't been to the marina here in Everett for a bit over a week to see if "our" egret is still around... seems a little odd to see 'em this far north, though!

or north! these guys are a lot more common in Oregon and California than up here... i've lived in this area all my life and never seen one here till this summer.

I was thinking they might be heading south for the winter. It's true that they've been expanding their range farther north, and that's OK by me. I grew up with these beauties in southwest Louisiana so it's a touch of home for me.
Of course, there's the climate change factor to throw into the mix....

according to birding sites, they don't normally get this far north... they migrate from South and Central America to the southern US to breed, and don't usually make it any farther north than Oregon or southern Idaho on this side of the Rockies... maybe the warmer weather this year brought them farther north? either way, i'm happy to take advantage of the opportunity to photograph one up close! i'd love to see it in a habitat less "civilized" than a bunch of floating logs at a marina, but i'll take what i can get! ;)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back