Hello to all! : )

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

DaniMarie22

Hello, my name is Dani and I am from Portland and I am trying to get out here in the photography world as is everyone else here!
I joined this website because I have been asking around different studios in the Portland area and this is the advice they gave me! I would love helpful critique, nothing too discouraging thou please, I know its the art world and I am familiar with the harshness, but still! : )
I love looking at other peoples art too, so I think this will be fun.
I would love some friendly hellos and some advice would be nice also! :D I have uploaded a bit of my work on my profile, so maybe you can leave some comments? Thanks! : )

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think you'll find we're a generally friendly bunch, and not overly harsh. We realize that not everyone is a pro shooter, and most folks try to gear the comments to the person's experience level.

I have uploaded a bit of my work on my profile, so maybe you can leave some comments?

It's my experience that you'll get far more comments if you post an image here in the forum. People browse the gallery, but generally don't comment there. So pick a couple you'd like feedback on and post them here. Its' OK if they're in both places.

Hi Dani! I sent you a PM. Let me know if that is a nice enough critique on one of your images that I really liked. ;)

By the way, I forgot to mention my grown son also owns a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 but for him, it is his main camera. He loves it and gets great results with his, too. :)

This is great and I feel welcomed! : ) thanks!

Okay, I will put up a few of my favorites, hope you like them!

The first one is my cat, I love taking pictures of animals a lot and I have him pretty well trained : )

The second is my dog (he is a golden retreiver/poodle aka= goldendoodle)
also I used flash on this one, so the quality is not the best.

The third is my friend McKenna when I took her college grad photos, I love photographing people a lot also.

The fourth is my friend Jess and again I love photographing people

The last is a sunset I took. It is not the best quality because I was driving, but I love it still because that is another favorite thing to photograph, the sky : )

You do have some good beginnings there with lots of promise. Exposure and composure and posing look pretty good.

Oh.. no for gentle and helpful critique given in a attitude of helpfulness.

1) I love the perspective and up closeness of the cat but the poor little puddy got his ears clipped off. :( I think having the tips of the ears in the should would make this one great. tighter crop down to the base of the ears and loosing a little bit of the back of the head may work too.

2) The dog is places in a nice location and I love the perspective. There needs to be a tad more room off the paw and above the head.

3) McKenna is posed will. However, watch the cropping. Don't crop at a joint - in this case her wrist. Simply moving her had up causing her elbow to point behind her would make this pose work. Also watch the sun/shade mix. Had she been in complete shade she'd look much better.

4) Again, Jess has a pretty good pose here but a little refinement would help. Looks like she may be slumped over a bit so have her sit up straighter. Move that left arm it the point just above her wrist is resting on her knee giving a bit of dead space between torso and arm. I'd pull that right arm out so it's resting about mid arm and mid thigh so you see a continued line from arm down thru the finger tips.

Her right leg coming out of the corner of the shot and bent like that is perfect. Just pull back a bit so both feet are completely in the shot - again don't crop at the joints.

Last one - I'm trying to determine if the camera was level or not. The far edge of the road looks level but I'm bothered by the slop of the horizon. However, I love the sun flare, the colors and the contrast in the sky. Well executed.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back