Hell's Canyon

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Judy N

Took a fall trip down Hell's Canyon. Nice weather with the exception of windy nights. Could post in Idaho also since along this stretch of river it is the border of the states.

Judy, were you shooting that first shot through a car window? There are some reflections and a red streak that are detracting from the nicely shot composition.

My favorite of the set is the candid of the fisherman. Only critique on that is a very slight rotation as the waterline looks off kilter, and to brighten it. In this sample, just to add a little light to it, I brightened it up '44' on the slider in Photoshop.

Also, I did a screen shot to show you where the guide lays against your waterline. Look for the faint turquoise line there. It is faint because it is a low quality screen capture.

I hope that helps.

View attachment 3809

Thanks Leia for the input. The first shot was actually through a jetboat window. I noticed the reflection as I took the shot but that was the best I could do. A little to the left or right gave even a worse one.

Get out from behind that window. lol It's tint does some tough things to the images. That and getting wet is half the fun of a river trip.

The first is a typical Hells Canyon/Snake River view, would be better if there was something in the foreground to draw interest to, liek a rock or another boat on the water. But I understand that on a trip like this you gotta shoot what's there.
The bighorn ewe shot is tough lighting to shoot in with the sun behnd her. Is that the window causing tint trouble or late afternoon sun filtered by what may have been smoke haze in the area.
The fisherman photo I would have composed differently with the river opening up off to the right, leaving him room to cast his lure. As it is now, all the rock behind is negative space (1/2 the image space) that draws the eye from the fisherman making me want to see what you were trying to show there. Try another crop in portrait perspective cropping straight down from the top right behind his back.
With the tree, there's nothing there. I keep looking for something, but it's shaded dead branches and rocks. Unfortunatley the scene does not translate as well to a picture as what it looks like along the river.

Shooting pictures on a trip like that is tough since you really don't get time to set up or wait for the best light. You did get nice travel photos to show the experience of the trip. I love the Hells Canyon area and visit the Washington area right where the Grande Ronde dumps in to the Snake River. Alot of times at the top of the canyon looking down it, very wonderful and big country.

Even though the "water line" is a bit kattywumpis, its still pretty damn good for being in a boat on the Snake River.

Sounds like a grand adventure. A jet boat is a difficult platform to shoot from. I don't know what you were using for a camera but if you were not afraid of getting it wet a few action shots would have been fun to see.

Even though the "water line" is a bit kattywumpis, its still pretty damn good for being in a boat on the Snake River.

Oops! That shot of the fisher was taken from in the boat? If so, that is pretty straight considering that! :)

we were talking jet boats, I was too tired to be here "thinking", I had a wrong conclusion. I am bad!!

The only picture from a boat was the first one. He took 4 of us up to were the rest of our raft group was and we rafted down the rest of the way. Tony thanks for the input on the fisherman, I though of that when I looked at it last night. (at least I have progressed to see such things.) The bighorn sheep was taken while I was oaring a boat down the river. Very hard to row and set up the camera at the same time. lol

Fisherman

I took out the land to fix the crooked line, took out some rock and gave him all the space I had to throw his lure. Also lightened the shadows some. Does it help? Thanks

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back