It's Owl Season..... Again

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Sunday (4/6/14) was overcast and relatively dark all day long. My son and I went to Yost Park before sunset in the hopes of spotting the barred owl pair. I think the female has yet to lay eggs.

We ran into Finn, one of the regular Yost Park owl hunters, who spotted the male.
01.JPG

After some hooting, the male was joined by the female.
02.JPG

03.JPG

I felt the female was reacting to the clicks of my camera, so I switched to silent mode. While silent mode is truly silent, its high speed burst rate is not as rapid as regular mode. As such, this was my only shot of the female departing.
04.JPG

We tracked her down farther west along the ravine with help from the crows.
05.JPG

The barred owls are venturing to the bottom of the ravine, even though the trees have not leafed out enough to hide them from the evil minions of the Dark Lord. The park is their realm, so I assume they know what they are doing.

Last edited:
I found out about a Great Horned owl nest a few weeks back in NE Portland. It's been trick-shot photography from the get-go. To start off, the nest is located 35-40 feet up a cottonwood and surrounded by various trees and yes, they all have branches and the weather was terrible the first couple of outings with rain and winds.

The nest apparently only has one owlet along with mom.

The first few times I went out there mom was sitting along side jr. inside of the nest. The weather was showery and overcast.
2125418_orig.jpg

Showers with partial clearing was the name of the game the following week and mom was perching on a limb just above the nest.
6512146_orig.jpg

4368160_orig.jpg

At the beginning of last week the adult female really showing that she wants to coax the kid out of the nest by perching in other trees around the nesting tree
1496168_orig.jpg

"Come on... Look at me, lets get you into some denser foliage so you can hide and the crows will quit attacking you."
8154050_orig.jpg

6481430_orig.jpg

The next few days were complete rain outs. I returned Wednesday of last week, between showers to find no activity. Mom and baby were no where to be found.

The following day was going to turn out to be a nice springtime day so I decided to head back out there to see if they had actually moved up any higher and perhaps completely disappearing into the ever increasing foliage.

Bingo! This is what I call "Sweet Spot Photography." Just the break I was looking for and in the nick of time as this foliage is increasing tenfold and I show up to this!!!!
700575_orig.jpg

4259453_orig.jpg

7340158_orig.jpg

3770753_orig.jpg

5455825_orig.jpg

3067048_orig.jpg

Last edited:
good stuff, in spite of all the adversity! really like the last couple of images... very nicely done!

Here's the title page photo of a power point presentation that I've done locally.

OWCTitlePageSm.jpg

This wasn't a set-up shot. The Barred Owl feather was found in the creek where you see it, just below one of its favorite perches.

Eating dinner in tonight, special ordered fresh vole delivered to the door.

Dinner time.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday (4/13/14) evening I saw both of the Yost Park barred owls. My best shots were of one (female?) perched about eye level just a short distance off a trail.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Full frame, uncropped shot with the 400mm end of my 100-400L telephoto zoom.
03.JPG

Still no signs of nesting activity.:mad:

Last edited:
Taken today. I don't know what it is, but there seems to be a food theme in my photos lately.

Dinner.jpg

mouthful.jpg

In the nursary.jpg

All they do is eat it seems LOL, I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the mice and voles. They wiggle for a long time. I was surprised to see this owl pick the mouse off off a tree trunk.

One of the Yost Park owl hunters said he talked with someone in the park with a zoology background. That person said there are tree dwelling rodents which the owls will hunt.

One of the Yost Park owl hunters said he talked with someone in the park with a zoology background. That person said there are tree dwelling rodents which the owls will hunt.

I would have loved to have caught that. There was a tree blocking most of the view.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back