Juvenile Sandhill Crane at the Edmonds Marsh

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Welcome to our virtual Camera Club. Join the discussion and see what develops.

Register for your free membership today!

Terry O

Thanks to an early morning text message, I was able to capture a few images of the Sandhill. All taken with the Canon 5D Mark III and 500mm f5.6L with 1.4x extender.

One of my initial images - I think this is a female juvenile. It may have gotten separated from its flight group.
10-22-2015 sandhill marsh_0996.JPG

It was getting ready to take off
10-22-2015 sandhill marsh_1008.JPG

This is the classic pre-flight pose, based on my experience at Bosque del Apache, NM, a couple of years ago
10-22-2015 sandhill marsh_1009.JPG

Some in-flight images - I was pleased that the AF was able to distinguish the bird from the background.
10-22-2015 sandhill marsh_1013.JPG

10-22-2015 sandhill marsh_1015.JPG
(continued)

Terry O

Some additional in-flight images
10-22-2015 sandhill marsh_1020.JPG

10-22-2015 sandhill marsh_1021.JPG

About that time a heron took off from the marsh - I'm not positive if it is the one that joined the Crane. But a heron definitely joined the crane as the crane flew south - hope it is able to rejoin its group!
10-22-2015 heron marsh_1082.JPG

A silhouette shot of a Crow, Heron and Sandhill - not a great shot, but it really shows the difference between the heron and crane. the crane in the lower right is highlighted a bit.
10-22-2015 sandhill heron crow  marsh_1051.JPG

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow, what a great find, Terry! i didn't think sandhills came through here... thought they were all east of the mountains. i wonder if it'll be back tomorrow?

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
There were reports Friday morning on Tweeters of a sandhill crane at the Mountlake Fill. Same bird?
I got an e-mail from a Tweetster who ID'ed the crane at the Fill as the one from the marsh based on Terry's photos. There were also reports on Tweeters of a flock down in Kent. I wonder if this one is a lost member of that flock.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com