My best of 2011

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

robarooni

Many challenges over the year! This is my January best shot, which was featured as a pic of the day on this forum... Thanks, Bobh!

Last edited:
This pic from February featured the moon shining through three separate cloud formations. I cropped the moon out, and let the light play on the cloud banks create this surreal abstract:

March found me looking at architecture, and I found this view of the 520 floating bridge irresistable to my camera. Another pic of the day on this forum, and thanks again, Bobh!

April is always Tulip season for me, having shot the Tulips in the Skagit Valley every year for 12 years. This time I missed any kind of decent weather to shoot in, having illness and injury to deal with. I had been working toward developing skills in personal portraiture and glamour photography, and one of my young models suggested a day trip up to the fields to play in the mud. We ended up quite messy, but I managed to keep camera and lenses safe. Missy made my best image for the month:

One of my old photo pals got back in touch with me, and waterfalling we went! This was along the trail to Sol Duc falls.

Trash the Dress! A former Playboy magazine model and my afore mentioned pal invited me to shoot with them, to help me develop my portraiture skills. She was great to work with, having worked with some of the best glamour photogs in the industry, and had some great tips and pointers for me... I will always be grateful for her tutelage!

July brought more models to work with, and Missy was inspired by my work with the Trash the Dress shoot. Fearing large bodies of water, she was very hesitant to get too far from shore, so I waded right in to my armpits, holding the camera up and dry. This high chromatic image has garnered some recognition for me!

August saw me dig out the lighting kits, as new ideas rose to the surface. My nearly twenty years in the wine business had seen me shoot next to nothing, in my primary field... appalling! I set out to create something simple, yet dramatic, and viola!

September, and the weather is turning some great cloud scapes. I returned to my original strengths in landscape photography, and captured some insane blue hour colors over the Olympic Mountain range.

October, and I was looking for street scenes. I couldn't pass this shot up, as the mural was fantastic in it's detail and size. As I was pondering how to demonstrate scale, the pedestrian crossed into the frame. I love this shot for a host of reasons, including the fact that I shot it from the truck, while sitting in traffic! Capitol Hill neighborhood, Seattle.

November is great for fall scenery here in the PNW, and I was looking for something different. Christena (a member of this forum) had been showcasing the "leaf in a fence" photos, and I was teasing her about creating a new genre... and this shot found my viewfinder. Sometimes motivation comes from plagiarism... thanks Christena!

December saw me establish a small studio! One of my models from earlier this year offered to be the first to work with me in it, and she arrived in these smokin' hot shoes. She had never worn them, so they were in pristine condition. Playing with the lights and backgrounds, this series proved to be fantastic!

I would say that 2011 was the most challenging year I had in photography, in that I made some huge improvements in my skills, challenged my weaknesses, and found ways to stay engaged, focused, and inspired. I learned alot, and find myself pushing my limits every day with the camera! Best to all of you, and thanks for looking!

A fantastic year I'd say. The March photo is a great one...I remember seeing it when I joined the Forum and its worth re-posting for sure. The red heels shot is also an eye catcher, I could see it on a billboard.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back