My first eaglet of 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a great shot. Not even an intentional shot. I was in the Tualatin River National Wildlife refuge and was shooting a slash burn on the far hills. And to my surprise, after uploading my card I found an eaglet has hatched. Woohoo. NOt my best shot but fun just the same. Show me your first eaglet of 2014. :)
Composite.jpg

Good find. Your eagles are ahead of ours.

While Terry and I have documented the Pt. Edwards pair sitting on their nest, we have yet to see or hear signs of eaglets. Due to the upward angle we view the nest, I doubt we will see any eaglets in their downy stage. We did not spot last year's eaglets until 5-26-13 and by then they were out of their downy stage and were developing adult feathers.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showt...ds-Eaglet-2013

This year I am keeping a closer eye now that we know the pair is nest sitting. Looking back at photos of last year's eaglets, there may very well be recently hatched babies in the nest as I type.

Last edited:
We did not spot last year's eaglets until 5-26-13 and by then they were out of their downy stage and were developing adult feathers.

This year Terry and I are two weeks ahead of schedule as Monday (5/12/14) we spotted two Pt. Edwards eaglets still in their downy stage.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

This year Terry and I are two weeks ahead of schedule as Monday (5/12/14) we spotted two Pt. Edwards eaglets still in their downy stage.

Nice shots. There's one eaglet present in the nest here at the TRNWR near Sherwood in Oregon. Your pictures reflect two eaglets. Correct me if I am wrong Bill and Terry, you guys documented one fledgling last year? It's gonna be an interesting season watching to see what happens with the eagles this year. It's not uncommon in an eagles nest for an eaglet lacking in food consumption and strength being destroyed in natural selection wiring for the survival of the species.

Chad

Last edited:
Nice shots. There's one eaglet present in the nest here at the TRNWR near Sherwood. Your pictures reflect two eaglets. Correct me if I am wrong Bill and Terry, you guys documented one fledgling last year? It's gonna be an interesting season watching to see what happens with the eagles this year. It's not uncommon in an eagles nest for an eaglet lacking in food consumption and strength being destroyed for natural selective reasoning for the survival of the species.

Last year there were two eaglets at both the Pt. Edwards and the Hutt Park nests. All four eaglets survived to fledge.

Last year it took several photo trips to the Pt. Edwards nest before we discovered the second eaglet. This year we discovered two eaglets at once. Since eagles can lay as many as four eggs, it remains to be seen if there are additional eaglets in the nest.

Last edited:
Last year it took several photo trips to the Pt. Edwards nest before we discovered the second eaglet. This year we discovered two eaglets at once. Since eagles can lay as many as four eggs, it remains to be seen if there are any additional eaglets in the nest.

That's right! Nice find yesterday. Keep us posted.

I try and hit the refuge once or twice a week, I also don't live on that side of town anymore. I'll look through my recent pics and see what I can come up with for the eagles at TRNWR.

Last Wednesday, I stopped by at the visitor center, talked with the volunteers and glanced through the scope. The one eaglet has been perching on the outer part of the nest and flapping it's wings a lot. I asked the volunteers if the eaglet has been branching, jumping from branch to branch yet, they said no. They are talking about two or three more weeks until it fledges, I'm thinking at least three more weeks as of last Wednesday. Also, both the adults are spending their time at the nest, in years past one or two of the adults would perch in one of the tall trees next to the visitors center and do lots of calling, obviously trying to coax the kid out of the nest. The visitors center sits nearly a half mile out from the nesting tree.

I'll try and get out there one day this week and focus my attention on the current eagle situation and try and get some good pics. I've been going out there trying to find owls and walking their recently open trails as most of my recent eagle shots look like doubles and triples of the same shots I've taken around the same time in past years.

Chad

Last edited:
I couldn't resist and had to check the eaglets out. Not the best photo, but it is a photo. The Tualatin River is growing up big and strong. He or she is growing up strong and getting to be quite big. :) Mom and Dad were nearby one near the tree as you can see and another perched not far away.

Eaglet and parent.jpg

Last edited:
A quick update... I was out at the refuge on Thursday morning at 8am and saw an adult eagle in one of the trees next to the Visitors Center, took a few photos. I had to be somewhere so, I took a quick look at the nest from the observation deck at the center and saw the eaglet perched at the nest.

I came back at around 4pm on Thursday, no adult eagle in the tree at the center. I took about a 3 mile stroll on the trails, got around to the canal stretch closest to the area open at this time to the nest, standing about 500+ feet away. I was taking pictures when a couple of the ladies that work there strolled up and told me that it was a busy day starting at about 9:30am when the eaglet flew down into the marsh area below the nest and stayed down there for sometime before eventually making it back up to the nest where it was currently perched, this was the first known trip away from the nest.

Saturday I returned at around 4pm and took a quick look at the nest from the center and saw the eaglet perched on a lower branch on the nesting tree. Someone stated that the eagle was back on the marsh earlier in the day for sometime before heading back to the tree. I left and came back around 7pm for a quick walk on the gravel road along the canal. The eaglet was perched on the next tree over from the nesting tree.

I'll get some of my photos in order and post them here soon.

Chad

Last edited:
Thank you, Janice.

Here's a series taken at around 5:30 Thursday night of the eaglet leaping from an outer branch and landing in the nest, using it's wings
9937374_orig.jpg

1049501_orig.jpg

8448533_orig.jpg

1409283_orig.jpg

360832_orig.jpg

8415536_orig.jpg

3291875_orig.jpg

7405900_orig.jpg

Chad

Last edited:
Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back